CARES Act Emergency Grant
Application is Currently Closed
CARES Act Emergency Grants
The novel coronavirus caused unprecedented disruption to the lives of Ramapo College students during 2020. In response to this pandemic, Ramapo College awarded emergency relief grants, known as CARES Act Emergency Grants, to eligible students. These grants were provided by the U.S. Department of Education through the CARES Act.
What the emergency grants covered:
- Living Expenses – Rent, mortgage payments, medical insurance, utility payments; food insecurity because of campus disruptions that occurred at Ramapo as a result of the coronavirus
- Technology – New computer, laptop, tablet, software, accessories (e.g. router, internet booster, webcam, microphone), or other technological supplies purchased as a result of classes transitioning to remote delivery
- Course Materials – Art supplies, media, or other supplies purchased due to classes transitioning to remote delivery
- Job Loss – Expenses for health care, dependent care, or child care due to a job loss from COVID-19 (not including lost wages)
Grants awarded under this program were paid directly to students. They could not be applied to a student’s Ramapo College account for a current or outstanding balance, and did not have an impact on future financial aid allocations.
Eligible students were:
- Enrolled in the semester for which the student requested aid
- Degree-seeking students, either undergraduate or graduate
- Those who submitted, or were eligible to submit, a 2020-2021 FAFSA
- Eligible to receive Title IV, Section 484 aid (see question #9 at CARES Act Student Grants FAQs)
Unfortunately, international students and DACA recipients were not eligible to receive funding under this program.
Grant Amounts & Award Process
The Ramapo College Office of Financial Aid evaluated each application and determined award amounts. Financial need (Pell grant eligibility, Expected Family Contribution as determined from the FAFSA), year in school, the category and amount of the request, and any special circumstances that arose because of the novel coronavirus pandemic were taken into consideration when evaluating each request.
Notifications of award or denial were sent to applicants’ Ramapo College email. Awards were paid directly to students via electronic refund or check. Grants were made in two rounds in the spring of 2020 and the fall of 2020 and were awarded on a first-come, first served basis until funds are depleted.
The Colelge was keen to distribute the funds equitably and compassionately, with a thoughtful and thorough evaluation process.
Questions about the CARES Act grant process can be emailed to CARESAct@ramapo.edu
Frequently Asked Questions
More information about the Ramapo College CARES Act program can be found on the FAQ page.