CARES Act Emergency Grants
The novel coronavirus has caused unprecedented disruption to the lives of Ramapo College students during the spring 2020 semester. In response to this pandemic, Ramapo College will award emergency relief grants, known as CARES Act Emergency Grants, to eligible students who are currently enrolled. These grants are provided by the U.S. Department of Education through the CARES Act, and adhere to the criteria outlined by the federal government and Ramapo College.
What the emergency grants can cover:
- Living Expenses – Are you behind on rent, mortgage payments, medical insurance, or utility payments? Are you food insecure because of campus disruptions that have occurred at Ramapo as a result of the coronavirus?
- Technology –Did you have to buy a new computer, laptop, tablet, software, accessories (e.g. router, internet booster, webcam, microphone), or other technological supplies when classes transitioned to remote delivery?
- Course Materials – Did you have to purchase art supplies, media, or other supplies when classes transitioned to remote delivery?
- Job Loss – Have you incurred expenses for health care, dependent care, or child care due to a job loss from COVID-19? This does not include lost wages.
Grants awarded under this program will be paid directly to students. They cannot be applied to a student’s Ramapo College account for a current or outstanding balance, and will not have an impact on future financial aid allocations.
Eligible students must:
- Be enrolled in the semester for which the student is requesting aid
- Be a degree-seeking student, either undergraduate or graduate
- Have submitted, or have been eligible to submit, a 2019-2020 FAFSA
- Be eligible to receive Title IV, Section 484 aid (see question #9 at CARES Act Student Grants FAQs)
Unfortunately, international students and DACA recipients are not eligible to receive funding under this program.
Grant Amounts & Award Process
The maximum amount any student will receive is $1,200. The Ramapo College Office of Financial Aid will evaluate each application and determine award amounts. Financial need (Pell grant eligibility, Expected Family Contribution as determined from the FAFSA), year in school, the category and amount of the request, and any special circumstances that have arisen because of the novel coronavirus pandemic will be taken into consideration when evaluating each request.
Notification of award or denial will be sent to the student’s Ramapo College email within 30 days. Awards will be paid directly to students via electronic refund or check.
We are keen to distribute these funds equitably and compassionately and doing so will take time. Please be patient with us as we work to ensure a thoughtful and thorough evaluation process.
Applications must be submitted by midnight on May 23, 2020. Awards will be made on a first-come, first served basis until funds are depleted. We cannot guarantee that all applicants will receive funding.
Click here to complete the application form.
We have created a dedicated email account to assist students with questions about the CARES Act grant process. If you have questions, please send an email to CARESAct@ramapo.edu.
Frequently Asked Questions
More information about the Ramapo College CARES Act program can be found on the FAQ page.