The Center for Reading and Writing offers one-on-one, face-to-face consulting sessions in writing, reading, and study skills. We encourage ALL Ramapo students to visit the Center. Whether you want to improve your reading, learn strategies for strengthening your writing, or brush up on study skills, we have the people and the resources to help you.
THE CENTER IS CLOSED FOR WALK-IN SESSIONS DURING THE SUMMER. Staff are available to meet with students, by appointment. If you would like an appointment, please email Tom Kitchen at email@example.com, and allow at least 48 hours’ advance notice. IMPORTANT: PLEASE DO NOT CALL FOR AN APPOINTMENT, OR LEAVE PHONE MESSAGES. During the summer there is no one available to answer the phone, or to check messages.
PLEASE NOTE THAT, BECAUSE THE WORK WE DO IN THE CENTER IS PRIMARILY INTENDED TO SUPPORT CRITICAL THINKING AND REVISION, WE WILL POLITELY REFUSE TO SEE STUDENTS IF FEWER THAN 24 HOURS REMAIN BEFORE AN ASSIGNMENT IS DUE. Critical thinking and revision cannot be rushed, and, if you don’t have time to reflect on the work you want to do in the Center, then now is not the time for you to visit. Please plan ahead to make the most of your session.
WE ARE NOW APPLICATIONS FOR POSITIONS BEGINNING IN FALL 2018. If you’re interested in applying, please take a look at our page, “How to Become a Consultant.” Applications are welcome even after the end of the semester, and we will continue conducting interviews with selected candidates as necessary. Inquiries are welcome at any time; please contact Tom Kitchen.
Hours of operation
Spring Hours: Mon.-Thurs: 10:00 a.m.– 9:00 p.m., Fri. 10:00am – 2:00pm
Location: George T. Potter Library, 2nd floor, L-211
Phone: (201) 684-7557
Spring 2018 Schedule
The Center also offers Student Workshops on a range of topics from writing the argument paper to critical reading and MLA, APA, and Turabian/Chicago style guidelines. These 45-minute workshops are facilitated by Center staff, faculty and peer consultants. Click below for a list of upcoming workshops.
Come visit us on the 2nd floor of the Library (1 floor down from the main entrance).
Spring 2018 Workshop Schedule
The Virtual Waiting Room. Wondering whether there’s a wait? Click the link below to see how many people are currently at the Center (note that the number includes both people who are participating in active sessions, and those who are waiting for a session).
The Virtual Waiting Room
Find us in the Library!
What Ramapo Students are Saying about the Center for Reading and Writing…
- “It was really helpful, because now I know what areas to focus on to complete my essay effectively.”
- “I was very satisfied with the help I received. My consultant showed me how to improve my paper and reading through it really helped.”
- “Everything about this session was positive and effective. I now have a better understanding on where to start with my research paper.”
- “I learned how to replace paragraphs in my essay, and help improve my thesis.”
- “I got a good perspective on my topic, and I also learned more about the Chicago style of writing.”
- “Going to the Reading and Writing Center helps give me more ideas and strategies to work with my paper.”
- “This is a great place to release the frustration when in doubt about writing.”
- “I know what changes I have to make, and how to make them.”
Priscilla Tovey VanAulen,
Phone: (201) 684-7561
Developmental Writing Specialist
Phone: (201) 684-7559
Phone: (201) 684-7118