The Center for Reading and Writing offers one-on-one, face-to-face consulting sessions in writing, reading, and study skills. We encourage ALL Ramapo students to visit the Center. Whether you want to improve your reading, learn strategies for strengthening your writing, or brush up on study skills, we have the people and the resources to help you.
THE CENTER IS OPEN FOR WALK-IN SESSIONS. We welcome students back from the break, and encourage everyone to come by to discuss reading and writing assignments with our consultants. Consultation sessions are free to all Ramapo students, and we are here to help you do your best work. Sessions are for 40 minutes. You can help us to help you by bringing all assignments, texts, and associated materials. Please note, however, that we won’t work with you on assignments that are due on the day of the consultation, because, after the session, you will need time to process, rethink, and write (or rewrite) what you’ve discussed with your consultant.
WE WILL BE HIRING NEW CONSULTANTS THIS SEMESTER. If you’re interested in applying, please take a look at our page, “How to Become a Consultant.” We will accept applications at any point during the spring semester, and hope to conduct interviews with selected candidates in April.
Hours of operation
Hours: Mon.-Thurs: 10:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.; Fri: 10:00 a.m.–Noon.
Location: George T. Potter Library, 2nd floor, L-211
Phone: (201) 684-7557
The Center also offers Student Workshops on a range of topics from writing the argument paper to critical reading and MLA, APA, and Turabian/Chicago style guidelines. These 45-minute workshops are facilitated by Center staff, faculty and peer consultants. Click below for a list of upcoming workshops.
Come visit us on the 2nd floor of the Library (1 floor down from the main entrance).
Spring 2017 Workshop Schedule
The Virtual Waiting Room. Wondering whether there’s a wait? Click the link below to see how many people are currently at the Center (note that the number includes both people who are participating in active sessions, and those who are waiting for a session).
The Virtual Waiting Room
Find us in the Library!
If you are interested in becoming a Peer Consultant in the Center, please apply! There is no form required; simply gather the required materials (see “How to Become a Consultant” for the list), and send them to us. Applications are welcome at any time during the spring semester, but should be in no later than mid-April for primary consideration (applications submitted later may be reviewed, depending upon need). Watch the Daily Digest for announcements of info sessions for students who are interested in working in the Center.
What Ramapo Students are Saying about the Center for Reading and Writing…
- “It was really helpful, because now I know what areas to focus on to complete my essay effectively.”
- “I was very satisfied with the help I received. My consultant showed me how to improve my paper and reading through it really helped.”
- “Everything about this session was positive and effective. I now have a better understanding on where to start with my research paper.”
- “I learned how to replace paragraphs in my essay, and help improve my thesis.”
- “I got a good perspective on my topic, and I also learned more about the Chicago style of writing.”
- “Going to the Reading and Writing Center helps give me more ideas and strategies to work with my paper.”
- “This is a great place to release the frustration when in doubt about writing.”
- “I know what changes I have to make, and how to make them.”
Priscilla Tovey VanAulen,
Phone: (201) 684-7561
Developmental Writing Specialist
Phone: (201) 684-7559
Phone: (201) 684-7118