Associate Professor of History
Year Joined RCNJ: 2007
- Phone: (201) 684-7216
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: A-208
- Office Hours: MWR 3:00-4:00 pm by appointment
- B.A. University of Chicago
- M.A. University of Chicago
- A.M. Harvard University
- Ph.D. Harvard University
- Korean Cinema and Modern Society
- The Korean War and the Indochina Wars
- Modern Korea and the World
- Introduction to East Asian Civilizations
- The United States and East Asia
- Japan: Early Civilization to Modern Revolution
- World Civilizations
- Modern and Premodern Korean History
- Modern Japanese History
- US Diplomatic History
- East Asian Intellectual History
- Cold War History
- Comparative Colonial History
- Modern Korean History
- The Vietnam War
Articles & Book Chapters
- ““Han’guk ŭi Betŭnam chŏnjaeng chaep’ŏngga [Reevaluating Korean Participation in the Vietnam War].” Yŏksa pip’yŏng [Critical Review of History] 107 (Summer 2014): 202-232.
- “The Clash of Civilizations: Obfuscating Race, History, and Culture in ‘300.’” In The Americanization of History: Conflation of Time and Culture in Film and Television, ed. Kathleen McDonald, 192-211. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011.
- “The Republic of Korea in Southeast Asia: Expanding Influences and Relations.” In Korea’s Changing Roles in Southeast Asia, ed. David I. Steinberg, 304-324. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2009.
- “The Nixon Doctrine and the Yusin Reforms: American Foreign Policy, the Vietnam War, and the Rise of Authoritarianism in Korea, 1968-1973.” Journal of American-East Asian Relations 12.1-2 (2003): 33-57.
- “Five Poems by Jang Jung Il.” In Azalea: A Journal of Korean Literature and Culture 2, 253-270. Cambridge, MA: Korea Institute, Harvard University, 2008.
- “Five Poems by Kang Ŭn-gyo.” In The Columbia Anthology of Modern Korean Poetry, ed. David R. McCann, 225-230. New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.
- The Anvil of War: The Legacies of Korean Participation in the Vietnam War. PhD diss., Harvard University, 2006.
Ramapo College of New Jersey recognizes the value of publishing on the Internet. The College does not preview, review, censor, or control the content of these pages in any way as a matter of course. This page and Web pages linked from this page are created by the authors, and do not in any way constitute official Ramapo College of New Jersey content.