Professor of Literature
Year Joined RCNJ: 2010
- B.A., University of Alabama
- M.A., SUNY-Buffalo
- Ph.D., SUNY-Buffalo
- Gothic Literature
- Literary Theory
- Gothic Literature
- Michel Foucault
- Issues concerning sexuality and the body
- “Transatlantic Terror: James Hammond’s Circulating Library and the Minerva Press Gothic Novel.” Romantic Textualities: Literature and Print Culture, 1780-1840, vol. 23, Summer 2020, http://www.romtext.org.uk/articles/rt23_n07/.
- “Taking a Sagittal View: Reflecting on My Academic Career.” Specialists: Passions and Careers, edited by Cristina Artenie and Danielle Joy Davis, Universitas Press, 2017.
- “Far from Heaven: Three Lessons in Lacanian Desire.” POMPA, 2005, pp. 66-71.
- “The Resistant Gap: Foucault, Lacan, and Resistance.” POMPA, 2003, pp. 34-40.
- Romantic Doubles: Sex and Sympathy in British Gothic Literature, 1790-1830. AMS P, 2002.
- “Double Trouble: The Self, the Social Order, and the Trouble with Sympathy in the Romantic and Post-modern Gothic.” Gothic Studies, vol. 3, no. 1, 2001, pp. 75-83.
- “Child’s Play: A Short Publication and Critical History of Jane Austen’s Juvenilia.” A Companion to Jane Austen Studies, edited by Laura Cooner Lambdin and Robert Thomas Lambdin, Greenwood Press, 2000, pp. 191-97.
- “(Dis)Orienting the Self: The Figure of the White European Man in Byron’s Oriental Tales and Travels.” Mapping Masculinities in Nineteenth-Century England, edited by William Brewer and Jay Losey, Fairleigh Dickinson UP, 1999, pp. 69-90.
- “Male Bonding: Sympathy and Shelley’s Frankenstein.” Nineteenth-Century Contexts, vol. 21, 1999, pp. 413-33.
- “‘Magnetical Sympathy’: Strategies of Power and Resistance in Godwin’s Caleb Williams.” Criticism, vol. 37, 1995, pp. 213-32.
Ramapo College of New Jersey recognizes the value of publishing on the Internet. The College does not preview, review, censor, or control the content of these pages in any way as a matter of course. This page and Web pages linked from this page are created by the authors, and do not in any way constitute official Ramapo College of New Jersey content.