Professor of Literature
Year Joined RCNJ: 1997
- B.A., Ramapo College of New Jersey
- M.A., North Carolina State University
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Greensboro
For the Literature major:
- Contemporary American Literature
- Comic American Novel
- 20th Century American Novel
- Survey of American Literature I & II
- Major Authors: Mark Twain
For the American Studies major:
- American Crime Fiction and Film
- Comics and American Culture
For the Mals Graduate Program:
- American Gothic: The Literacy Tradition
- American Folk: The Voice of the People in American Literature
- American Literature especially twentieth century fiction
- Literary studies that overlap with popular culture
- American folk music
- Detective Fiction
- “’Don’t Call Me Woody’: The Punk Compassion and Folk Rebellion of Joe Strummer and Woody Guthrie.” Punk Rock Warlord: The Life and Work of Joe Strummer. Eds. Barry J. Faulk and Brady Harrison. Surrey, England: Ashgate Books, 2013.
- “Shameful, Impure Art: Robert Crumb’s Autobiographical Comics and the Confessional Poets.” Biography 35.4 (Fall 2013).
- “Art and Commerce in the Classroom.” Teaching Comics and Graphic Narratives. Ed. Lan Dong. Jefferson, NC: McFarland. 2012.
- “Something Black in the American Psyche: Formal Innovation and Freudian Imagery in the Comics of Winsor McCay and Robert Crumb.” The Canadian Review of American Studies. July 2010.
- “Our Clothes are a Lie Disguise and Christian Typology in Pudd’nhead Wilson” Mark Twain Annual.2009.
- “Tom Ripley.” Student’s Companion to American Literary Characters, Facts on File. 2007.
- “Talkin’ World Revolution: Woody Guthrie’s Seeds of Man as Socialist Parable.” Intersecting Paths: Continuing Legacy of Old Southwestern Humor. Ed. Ed Piacentino, Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP. 2006
- “Where was the sex?’: Fetishism and Dirty Minds in Patricia Highsmith’s The Talented Mr. Ripley.” Modern Language Studies. 34.1, Spring 2005.
Ramapo College of New Jersey recognizes the value of publishing on the Internet. The College does not preview, review, censor, or control the content of these pages in any way as a matter of course. This page and Web pages linked from this page are created by the authors, and do not in any way constitute official Ramapo College of New Jersey content.