Skip to Undergraduate site navigationSkip to main content



Ramapo College Office of Admissions

McBride House
505 Ramapo Valley Road Mahwah, NJ 07430

p: (201) 684-7300
f: (201) 684-7964

Trasfer Students at Ramapo College

Below are some Frequently Asked Questions about the admissions process. More questions will be added soon. Still don’t see the answer to your question? Email us at or

Will my county college credits be accepted at Ramapo?

Ramapo College guarantees that if you hold an Associate in Arts (A.A.) or Associate in Science (A.S.) from a New Jersey community college, we will accept your full degree up to the maximum 65 transfer credits allowed from a two-year school. Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degrees will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Students who do not hold an Associate degree will have their credits evaluated on a course-by-course basis. You may want to access, the statewide articulation website, for academic planning.

Can I earn credit for my certifications?

Matriculated undergraduate students at Ramapo are eligible to apply for a Certification Credit Evaluation.  Common types of certifications evaluated include but are not limited to:  American Red Cross First Aid and CPR, New Jersey Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), and New Jersey Municipal Police Basic Course for Police Officers (2000-2015 only).   These credits are awarded as the equivalent of currently offered Ramapo courses provided that the course content and learning outcomes align and that the number of hours of instruction are determined to be adequate.

Certificate to Credit

Will I lose credit when I transfer to Ramapo College?

If you are taking coursework where we offer a comparable course and/or discipline, and you receive a grade of C or better, your credit will transfer. Coursework must be taken at a regionally accredited college or university.

How many credits do I need to transfer?

Students who have attempted fewer than 45 credits will need to supply an official high school transcript. The fewer completed credits you have, the more weight will be placed on your high school transcript.

Will I be accepted into my major at the time of application?

Students who apply to Ramapo College are accepted directly into their intended major with the exception of those offered in the Social Work major. Students interested in the Social Work major must complete the Social Work application after all prerequisites have been met and you have earned 64 or more credits.

How do I apply to the Teacher Education program at Ramapo College?

Ramapo does not offer degrees in education. The Teacher Education Program at Ramapo College is offered through the School of Social Science and Human Services which is fully certified by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Ramapo program is approved by the New Jersey State Department of Education under the standards established by the National Association of State Director of Teacher Education and Certification. Teacher preparation candidates are prepared to become student-oriented teachers who design high quality learning activities to meet a broad spectrum of learning styles and learning needs. Students interested in Teacher Education, must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and apply to the program directly through the Teacher Education office. For more information, please visit the Teacher Education webpage at

How many credits am I able to transfer to Ramapo College?

Ramapo College will transfer a maximum of 65 credits from an accredited community college and a maximum of 80 credits from an accredited four-year school.

How long will it take me to earn my degree at Ramapo College?

All degrees at Ramapo College require 128 credits to graduate. Students entering from a two-year college must complete a minimum of 63 credits. Students entering from a four-year college must complete a minimum of 48 credits to complete a degree.

How will I know which credits have transferred?

Shortly after you have been accepted for admission, you will receive a Transfer Credit Worksheet showing you the number of credits that have been accepted. Any coursework needing review may be submitted to the Convener of the major or may be reviewed at orientation for more detailed course equivalency.

Will my Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), CLEP or military credits transfer?

Ramapo College awards credit for coursework taken through these exam programs. Scores vary for these tests, but recommended minimum scores are considered. Submission of a DD214 or military transcript is also considered for credit.

Is there an age limit for my credits?

Ramapo College does not have an age limit for consideration of transfer credit.

Ramapo College operates on the four-credit system, and my previous school was on the three-credit system. Will my credits count?

The same number of credits is needed to complete your degree at Ramapo College. You will receive 3 credits for the class, and any remaining credits can be packaged together to make up one complete class. It should take you no longer to earn a degree at Ramapo College than at any other institution.

Does my grade point average transfer?

Transfer students begin with a new GPA when entering Ramapo College.


The NJ STARS II Program is a continuation of NJ STARS providing successful NJ STARS students at New Jersey county colleges with funding to transfer to a New Jersey four-year college/university to earn a Bachelor’s degree. The amount of the NJ STARS II award will be determined after all other state and federal grants and scholarships are applied, can change annually, and is based on the year the student enrolls at the four-year institution. NJ STARS students must have graduated from a NJ county college with an Associate degree. For more information visit