Skip to Undergraduate site navigationSkip to main content

Admission Requirements


Ramapo College Office of Admissions

McBride House
505 Ramapo Valley Road Mahwah, NJ 07430

p: (201) 684-7300
f: (201) 684-7964

Ramapo International Students in front of the Arch

Ramapo College of New Jersey welcomes applications from International Students seeking an F1 student visa. Students from more than 40 countries are currently attending Ramapo College. International students enrich the educational experience at Ramapo in many different ways!

Application Requirements

1. Application

You may apply to Ramapo using the Common Application, Coalition Application or our own Ramapo online application. (You must have a credit card available to pay the $65 application fee).

Apply Now >

2. Official Transcripts or Mark Sheets from High School

Transcripts must be translated into English. Transcripts must be official and should include the names of all subjects studied, grades earned, examinations passed and the dates diplomas, certificates and degrees were earned. All supporting credentials (not attached to your Common Application) should be sent by mail to:

Ramapo College of New Jersey
Office of Admissions

505 Ramapo Valley Road
Mahwah, NJ 07430

3. Official Transcripts from College or University

Transcripts from outside of the United States must be evaluated (course by course) by any current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). SpanTran, a NACES member, has created a custom application for RCNJ that will make sure you select the right kind of evaluation at a discounted rate. If you would like to start a SpanTran transcript evaluation, you can click here.

All supporting credentials should be sent by mail to:

Ramapo College of New Jersey
Office of Admissions

505 Ramapo Valley Road
Mahwah, NJ 07430

4. English Language Exams and/or SAT/ACT

Applicants must demonstrate fluency in English by submitting scores from a standardized test.  Ramapo College require English Language Exams or equivalent – scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Duolingo, PTE Academic or ELS.. All applications are considered for admission individually. Applicants should use the following guidelines for test results:

IELTS – 6.0
TOEFL – Paper Based 550
TOEFL – Computer Based 213
TOEFL – Internet based 79

Duolingo – 110

PTE Academic – 53
ELS – Completion of Intensive English Program Level 112

Ramapo College is test-optional for all programs, except the Articulation Programs. If you choose to submit an SAT or ACT score, please indicate that on your application. If you choose not to submit, we will review your application holistically using other documents and submitted materials.
Ramapo College SAT code 2884  
Ramapo College ACT code 2591

5. Letters of Recommendation

All applicants must submit at least one letter of recommendation from a school counselor, teacher or other individual who can attest to your abilities. There is no required standardized format for the letters. Additional letters of recommendation are not required, but will be considered if you send them.

6. Application Supplement

Indicate the name of your nearest relative or friend in the United States and your visa status if you are presently in the United States.

7. Affidavit of Support

Documentary evidence of sufficient funds for college and living expenses in the United States is mandatory. All documents, including bank statements, must be originals. The affidavit of support must be notarized. The sponsor does not have to be a U.S. citizen. You can have more than one sponsor if one sponsor cannot show the total $36,374. Each sponsor must provide the bank statement and employer verification described below.
All financial documents must be converted into U.S. dollars.
In item #11 of the affidavit, the sponsor should guarantee a minimum of $36,279 for each year of study. The affidavit must be sent with:

  • Original bank statement with the sponsor’s name and address, OR a letter from the bank on bank letterhead, which must show at least the amount the sponsor indicated in #11 of the Affidavit of Support.
  • Proof of sponsor’s income, which can be provided by a letter from the sponsor’s employer, on company letterhead, indicating the sponsor’s salary and number of years of employment. If sponsor is self-employed or owns his or her business, then a copy of the most recent income tax return can be supplied in place of the employer verification.
  • If the student will be living with family members or friend, an affidavit must be completed, and notarized, indicating room and board is being provided. This lowers the required sponsorship funding from $36,279 to $25,279 of support for each year of study.
  • If the student is bringing a dependent with him or her, an additional $5,000 in support is required and must be shown in the affidavit.
  • If the sponsor is retired he/she must show proof of income.

8. Official Immunization Records

All new freshmen and new transfer students who will be taking classes at Ramapo College of New Jersey are required to complete and return the College’s Immunization Form. For more information on what is required and to print the form visit

Documentation Required of Applicants Currently in the United States

  • International Student Advisor’s Report
    If you are currently a student at another college or a high school in the United States or were previously issued a student visa, you must have your prior school submit an International Student Advisor’s Report to the Office of Admissions at Ramapo College.
  • Copies of your Visa Page, I-94 and all I-20s (for F-1 students), DS-2019s (for J-1 students) must be received in the Office of Admissions before your application will be reviewed.

Procedure to Follow After Receiving the I-20 Form

If you are admitted to the College, you will be notified in writing and sent a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant “F-1″ Student Status) along with your original financial documentation.

If you are living abroad, you must present these papers to the visa officer at the American Embassy when you apply for your student visa.

If you are currently in the United States, you will need to bring all your immigration and financial documentation to Ramapo College to: Mr. Raj Adhikari, Director of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

Students who wish to change their status in the U.S. or are in the process of adjusting their status must contact the ISSS as early as possible.