Skip to Undergraduate site navigationSkip to main content



Ramapo College Office of Admissions

McBride House
505 Ramapo Valley Road Mahwah, NJ 07430

p: (201) 684-7300
f: (201) 684-7964

Below are some Frequently Asked Questions about the Admissions process. More questions will be added soon. Still don’t see the answer to your question? Email us at or

What is Non-Degree enrollment?

Non-Degree enrollment at Ramapo College is for anyone wishing to earn RCNJ credit; however, the student is not formally admitted to the College. Non-degree students are permitted to register after our matriculated students register. The Non-Degree registration window opens a few weeks prior to the start of each semester. Please refer to our registration schedule for dates and times.

Which courses can I take as a Non-Degree Student?

  • Non-degree enrollment is on a seats availability basis. If there is a seat available at the time of your registration, you can register for the course barring there are no prerequisite or test score requirements preventing you from registering.
  • If you are a Visiting Student and have received permission from your home institution to take a specific course at Ramapo, we will lift the prerequisite when written or emailed permission is received by our office.
  • If you are a Post-Baccalaureate Student who wishes to take a course with a prerequisite, then a simple review of your unofficial transcript showing the completion of the prerequisite, with a grade of C or better, is all that is needed to lift the restriction.

Am I eligible to enroll as a Non-Degree Student?

Anyone is eligible to enroll as a non-degree seeking student, but there are some restrictions. The following students are not eligible:

  • Students who are not in good academic (minimum 2.0 GPA) and social standing at their prior institution.
  • Freshmen or transfer applicants who have been denied enrollment for the same semester they wish to be a non-degree seeking student.
  • Students that have been found responsible for a disciplinary violation at an educational institution you have attended from 9th grade (or the international equivalent) forward, whether related to academic misconduct or behavioral misconduct that resulted in your probation, suspension, removal, dismissal or expulsion from the institution. Appeals will be considered with written explanation of the violation.
  • Students that have been convicted of a misdemeanor, felony or other crime. Appeals will be considered with written explanation.

How does the Non-Degree process work?

The Non-Degree applicant submits the Non-Degree Information Form with the proper supporting documents. Once the form has been received and processed, we send the applicant their student ID number and registration instructions to the address given on the information form. After the student receives their packet, they are free to register.

How do I register for courses?

For registration instructions, please click here. The instructions can be found in the drop down menu at the bottom of the page.

Can Non-Degree Students register for any semester or session?

Yes! Non-degree seeking students are eligible to enroll in any of our semesters or sessions (Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer).

When can I register?

Click here for registration schedule.

How will I know I’m registered for a course?

Once you have registered for a course, a schedule and bill are generated on your online account. Please check both by following the “Student Detailed Schedule” and “Account Summary” links in your account.

Can I attend classes before I am enrolled?

No, a student can only attend classes that they have registered and paid for.

How many credits am I allowed to take?

Non-Degree Students can take a maximum of 11 credits per semester, and a total of 28 credits as a Non-Degree Student. After 28 credits, the Non-Degree Student must apply for matriculation to continue.