Student/Faculty Research Projects
(Please contact the faculty member to inquire about research opportunities)
Professor Eman Abdelfattah Computer Science
- Sanskar Raj Marahata, Eman Abdelfattah, Sandra Ibrahim, Audrina Dobrevic, “No-Clear for Nuclear,” the 11th IEEE World AI IoT Congress (AI IoT), Virtual Conference, Seattle, USA, 6th – 9th June 2022.
- Shreehar Joshi, Eman Abdelfattah, Ryan Osgood, “Classification of Movie Success: A Comparison of Two Movie Datasets,” the 11th IEEE World AI IoT Congress (AI IoT), Virtual Conference, Seattle, USA, 6th – 9th June 2022.
- Tenzin Sherpa, Eman Abdelfattah, Kristin Miyamoto, Tiffany La Torre, “U.S. Wildfire Risks and Prevention,” the 12thIEEE Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CCWC) Virtual Conference, USA, 26-29 January 2022.
- Shreehar Joshi, Eman Abdelfattah, Shreekar Tiwari, “Analyzing Police Shootings in the US,” the 12th IEEE Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (UEMCON), Virtual Conference, 1-4 December 2021, New York, USA.
- Esther Jakubowicz, Eman Abdelfattah, “The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin: Predicting Market Direction Using Machine Learning Models,” the 12th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference(IEMCON), Virtual Conference, 27th – 30th October 2021, Vancouver, Canada.
- Shreehar Joshi, Eman Abdelfattah, “Deep Neural Networks for Time Series Classification in Human Activity Recognition,” the 12th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON), Virtual Conference, 27th – 30th October 2021, Vancouver, Canada.
- Shreehar Joshi, Eman Abdelfattah, “Multi-Class Text Classification Using Machine Learning Models for Online Drug Reviews,” the 10th IEEE World AI IoT Congress (AI IoT), Virtual Conference, USA, 10th – 13th May 2021.
- Shreeja Dahal, Robert Schaeffer, Eman Abdelfattah, “Performance of Different Classification Models on National Coral Reef Monitoring Dataset,” the 11th IEEE Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CCWC) Virtual Conference, USA, 27-30 January 2021.
- Biplab Thapa Magar, Subin Mali, Eman Abdelfattah, “App Success Classification Using Machine Learning Models,” the 11th IEEE Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CCWC) Virtual Conference, USA, 27-30 January 2021.
- Arifur Rahman, Michael Whitlock, Eman Abdelfattah, “Effectiveness of Classifiers to Identify Hand Gestures with Motion Capture Coordinate Markers,” the 11th IEEE Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CCWC) Virtual Conference, USA, 27-30 January 2021.
- Ammar Odeh, Ismail Keshta, Eman Abdelfattah, “Machine Learning Techniques for Detection of Website Phishing: A Review for Promises and Challenges,” the 11th IEEE Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CCWC) Virtual Conference, USA, 27-30 January 2021.
Professor Ali A. Alwan Al-Juboori Computer Science
- Mahmoud M. Khattab, Akram M Zeki, Ali A. Alwan, Belgacem Bouallegue, Safaa S. Matter, Abdelmoty M. Ahmed (2023). A Hybrid Regularization-Based Multi-Frame Super-Resolution Using Bayesian Framework. Computer Systems Science and Engineering Journal. Vol. 44, No.1, 2023, pp.35-54, doi:10.32604/csse.2023.025251.
- Yonis Gulzar, Ali A Alwan. (2022). CIDS: An efficient Algorithm for Processing Skyline Queries for Partially Complete Data in Cloud Environment. IEEE Access, Vol. (10), 22 June 2022, pp. 66449 – 66466, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2022.318508
- Radhwan M. Abdullah, Ayad H. Abdulqader, Dia M. Ali, Ali A. Alwan, Abedallah Z. Abualkishik. (2022). An Improved Approach for Managing Energy Efficiency in Mobile Networks. Vol. 26, No. 2, May 2022, pp. 955- 964, doi: 10.11591/ijeecs.v26.i2
- Samar Bashath, Amelia Ritahani Ismail, Ali A Alwan, Amir Aatieff Amir Hussin. (2022). An Improved particle swarm optimization based on lévy flight and simulated annealing for high dimensional optimization problem. International Journal of Advances in Intelligent Informatics. Vol. 8, No. 1, March 2022, pp. 115-134, doi: https://doi.org/10.26555/ijain.v8i1.818
- Nour El Imane Zeghib, Ali A. Alwan,Abedallah Zaid Abualkishik, Yonis Gulzar. Multi-route Plan for Reliable Services in Fog-based Healthcare Monitoring Systems. International Journal of Grid and High Performance Computing (IJGHPC) Vol. 14, Issue 3, July-September 2022, IGI Global Publisher.
- Radhwan M. Abdullah,Abedallah Zaid Abualkishik, Najla Matti Isaacc, Ali A. Alwan, Yonis Gulzar. (2022). An investigation study for risk calculation of security vulnerabilities on android applications. Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 25, No. 3, March 2022, pp. pp. 1736-1748. doi: 10.11591/ijeecs.v25.i3.
- Yasir Hamid, Sharyar Wani, Arjumand Bano Soomro, Ali A Alwan, Yonis Gulzar . (2022). Smart Seed Classification System Based on MobileNetV2 Architecture. Proceedings of the 2022 2nd International Conference on Computing and Information Technology (ICCIT). 25-27 January 2022, pp. 217- 222, doi: 10.1109/ICCIT52419.2022.9711662
- Mohammed Radi, Ali A. Alwan, Abedallah Zaid Abualkishik, Adam Marks, Yonis Gulzar. (2022). Efficient and Cost-effective Service Broker Policy Based on User Priority in VIKOR for Cloud Computing. The Scientific Journal of King Faisal University, Vol. 23, Issue 1, January, 2022, pp. 1-8, doi: 10.37575/b/cmp/210032
- Teo Poh Kuang, Hamidah Ibrahim, Fatimah Sidi, Nur Izura Udzir, Ali A. Alwan. (2021). An Effective Naming Heterogeneity Resolution for XACML Policy Evaluation in a Distributed Environment. Symmetry Journal.2021, 13, 2394, December 2021, MDPI Publisher, doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/sym13122394
- Mahmoud M. Khattab ,Akram M. Zeki , Ali A. Alwan, Belgacem Bouallegue, Safaa S. Matter, Abdelmoty M. Ahmed. Regularized Multiframe Super-Resolution Image Reconstruction Using Linear and Nonlinear Filters, Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 2021, 18 December 2021. Hindawi Publisher, doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/8309910.
- Zarina Dzolkhifli, Hamidah Ibrahim, Fatimah Sidi, Lilly Suriani Affendey, Siti Nurulain Mohd Rum, Ali A. Alwan. Efficient Skyline Computation of Multiple Range Skyline Queries. Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services (iiWAS2021),November 29–December 01, 2021, Linz, Austria, ACM publisher,pp. 391- 399. doi: https://doi.org/10.1145/3487664.3487718
- Ali A. Alwan, Abedallah Zaid Abualkishik.(2021). A Proposed AI-based Algorithm for Safety Detection and Reinforcement of Photovoltaic Steel. Journal of Intelligent Systems and Internet of Things (JISIoT), Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 41-55, October, 2021, doi: 10.5281/zenodo.52031
- Abedallah Zaid Abualkishik, Ali A. Alwan. (2021). Multi-objective Chaotic Butterfly Optimization with Deep Neural Network based Sustainable Healthcare Management Systems. American Journal of Business and Operations Research (AJBOR), Vol. 5, No. 1, October, 2021, pp. 61-70, doi: 10.5281/zenodo.5482719.
Professor Stephen Anderson Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Reducing Unsaturated Organic Compounds via Transfer Hydrogenation Using Wilkinson’s Catalyst and Isopropanol, Danielle Mazza, Tiffany Simons, Adam Toth and Stephen Anderson, Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research, 2012, 11(2), 35
- Reduction of Cyclic Alkenes and Ketones via Transfer Hydrogenation Using Wilkinson’s Catalyst and Isopropanol, Daniel Ferrante, Sahar Sheikh, Jill Tracey and Stephen Anderson, Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research, 2016, 15(2), 44
- Reduction of Conjugated and Non-Conjugated C=O/C=C systems via Transfer Hydrogenation, Brenna Berenholz, Daniel Ferrante, Joon Hoon Koh and Stephen Anderson, Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research, 2019, 18(4) 11
Professor Paramjeet Bagga Bioinformatics, Genomics, Molecular Biology
- Current research in my lab is focused on regulation of eukaryotic gene expression from a genomics perspective. My research lab develops and uses computational tools for studying conserved regulatory motifs in mammalian genomes and transcriptomes. More specifically, we study evolutionarily conserved sequence motifs which are involved in post-transcriptional regulatory mechanisms through interactions with cellular proteins. For example, one of the recent projects in my lab utilized computational genomics methods to study the role of cis-regulatory G-quadruplex motifs in the expression of human genes involved in neurological abnormalities such as Autism, Parkinson’s disease, and Dementia.Computational methods for discovery and analysis of G-quadruplexes motifs are increasingly being recognized as vital tools for investigating their biological roles in the bigger picture of gene regulation. We were among the first researchers in the world to develop algorithms for computational prediction of unimolecular G-quadruplex motifs in nucleotide sequences. Computational/Bioinformatics methods and tools developed by my research team are being widely used by researchers around the world, resulting in over 600 citations in recent times. QGRS-Mapper, one of our web-based Bioinformatics software alone records over 400 unique average monthly users. It is being used in at least 90 different countries around the world, and from all 50 states in the U.S.Our projects are inherently inter-disciplinary. Although, my background is in genomics and molecular biology, I work closely with other faculty members who are mathematicians and computer scientists. I generally involve undergraduate students in my research projects. My research students have presented their research accomplishments at local, national and international conferences, and have won many awards. My students have also co-authored many research publications in prestigious international peer-reviewed scientific journals.Please see https://pages.ramapo.edu/~pbagga/pub.html for a list of my publications and conference presentations.
Professor Amanda Beecher Mathematics
- Final Exam Scheduling Project by Anushka Acharya and Tenzin Sherpa at Provost and Registrar, Ramapo College of New Jersey, NJ, May 2020.
- Math TACTivities for Elementary Educators by Kailyn Cipoletti at Garden State Undergraduate Mathematics Conference, Raritan Valley Community College, Branchburg Township, NJ, April 2019.
- Weighted Voting: Why Nassau County Abandoned It by Subal Bhattarai at COPLAC NEURSCA Conference, Keene State College, Keene, NH, Nov 2019.
- Effective Deployment of Drone Rescue System in Puerto Rico by Vanesa Getseva, Salil Maharjan, and Subal Bhattarai at Garden State Undergraduate Mathematics Conference, Raritan Valley Community College, Branchburg Township, NJ, April 2019.
- Impact of Information on a Cooperative Game Network By Tomas Carino Bazan at C2 STEM Summit, Bergen Community College, Paramus, NJ, April 2017.
- Constructing Atomic Lattices from connected graphs by Plamena Bletsova at C2 STEM Summit, Bergen Community College, Paramus, NJ, April 2017.
- Exploring Semi Direct Products by Joseph Nitti at Garden State Undergraduate Mathematics Conference, Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ, April 2014.
- Classification of Dynkin Diagrams by Andrew Belmont at Moravian College Student Mathematics Conference, Bethlehem, PA, February 2013.
Professor Kathy Burke Nursing
- Burke, K. Data Driven Decision Making in High Performing Organizations. St Joseph Regional Medical Center, Annual Patient Care Services Strategic Planning Retreat. Paterson, NJ. February 2013.
- Burke, K. The Baldrige Criteria and Performance Excellence. American Society of Quality. Spring 2013 Conference. March 2013.
- Burke, K. Resuscitating Nursing Research. Options in Critical Care Northern NJ Chapter of AACN (April 4 & 5,2013, Fairfield, NJ
- Burke, K. HRET Community Outreach Award. Age Wise Team of St Joseph’s Regional Medical Center. Jan 25, 2013. NJHA 94th Annual Meeting.
Professor Larry D’Antonio Mathematics
- “A Reader’s Guide to the Classification of Quadratic Forms in the Disquisitiones Arithmeticae,” Joint Math Meetings, held January 9-12, 2013 in San Diego.
- “Cajori 2: Survey of American Undergraduate Courses in the 20th Century,” Frederick V. Pohle Colloquium, Adelphi University, April 3, 2013.
- “A Pox on Both Your Houses! The Bernoulli-d’Alembert Smallpox Inoculation Controversy,” Eastern Region of the American Mathematical Society held April 6-7, 2013, Boston College.
- “How much would you risk your life in order to save your life?” Northeastern Section of the Mathemtical Association of America held June 1, 2013 in Western Connecticut University.
- “An Interesting Four-Body Problem: Euler, Knutzen, Kant and the Comet of 1744.” Euler Society Meeting, held July 23-25,
2012 at Adelphi University.
Professor Julie Fitzgerald Nursing
- Saint Anselm College – 21St Annual Conference for Nurse Educators: Meeting Practice, Challenges through Educational Redesign Poster Presentation: Incorporating QSEN Competencies into a BSN Leadership Course, North Falmouth, Massachusetts, May 30, 2013
- Maternal Newborn Certification Course for Central Jersey Family Health Consortium: Extrauterine Transition, Neonatal Infections and Neurological Assessment of the Newborn. Maternal Newborn Low Risk Neonate Review and Update Course. Monmouth Medical Center Long Branch, NJ, June 12, 2012
- Fitzgerald. J. Nurse of the Year. Occupational Health and Ambulatory Care. New Jersey March of Dimes. March 2013
Professor Donna Flynn Nursing
- Flynn, D. Compassion Fatigue Self-Assessment Tool, Spirituality in Nursing Compassion Fatigue: The cost of caring. October 23, 2012, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.
- Flynn, D. & Centrella-Nigro, A. “The verdict is in: Using a Mock Trial to teach EBP” 9th Annual Nursing Research Day, AtlanticCare Regional Medical Center, April 27, 2012, Atlantic City, NJ
- Flynn, D. & Centrella-Nigro, A. “The verdict is in: Using a Mock Trial to teach EBP” New Jersey Organization of Nurse Executives, June 7, 2013, Princeton, NJ
Professor Scott Frees Computer Science
- Bagga, P.S., Frees, S., Crum, M., Menendez, C. (2013), EXOME-WIDE COMPUTATIONAL PREDICTION OF EVOLUTIONARILY CONSERVED CIS-REGULATORY G-QUADRUPLEX MOTIFS, Eighteenth Annual Meeting of the RNA Society, Davos, Switzerland.
- Crum, M., Menendez, C., Frees, S. and Bagga, P.S. (2012). Distribution of evolutionarily conserved cis-regulatory G-quadruplex motifs in 5’-untranslated regions of human genes. Annual MACUB conference. Adelphi University, New York, USA.
- Menendez, C.,Crum, M., Frees, S. and Bagga, P.S. (2012). Development of a database of homologous cis-regulatory motifs in mammalian mRNAs. Annual MACUB conference. Adelphi University, New York, USA.
Professor Carol Frishberg Chemistry
- “STEM Outreach for Middle School Students”, Annual conference of the Council for Opportunity in Education, September 2012, in NYC.
- Received a perfect score for the grant proposal “Upward Bound Math-Science at Ramapo College”. The proposal was funded $1.3 million for five years.
Professor Max Goldberg-Rugalev Mathematics
- Goldberg and S. Kim, An explicit characterization of the domain of the infinitesimal generator of a symmetric diffusion semigroup on Lp of a complete positive sigma-finite measure space, Real Analysis Exchange, vol. 46(2), 1-13, 2021, to appear.
- Goldberg and S. Kim, An equivalence between the limit smoothness and the rate of convergence for a general contraction operator family, Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2020, Article ID 8866826, 5 pages, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8866826
- R. Coifman and M. Goldberg, Some extensions of E. Stein’s work on Littlewood-Paley theory applied to symmetric diffusion semigroups, The Journal of Geometric Analysis, vol. 31, 6781–6795, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12220-020-00428-9
- Goldberg and S. Kim, Equivalence of Lp diffusion approximation and a function’s diffusion smoothness, Semigroup Forum, vol. 100, 837-849, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00233-019-10030-3
- Goldberg and S. Kim, A natural diffusion distance and equivalence of local convergence and local equicontinuity for a general symmetric diffusion semigroup, Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2018, Article ID 6281504, 9 pages, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6281504
Professor Margaret Green Nursing
- Greene, M. J. (2013). “A Phenomenological Perspective to Understanding the Meaning of Health and Health – Related Lifestyle Practices in Postmenopausal Women.” 17th Annual Nursing Research and Evidence – Based Practice Conference. NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY. June 2013.
Professor Kokila Kota Microbiology & Biotechnology
- Project-1 (Microbiology): Investigating the quorum sensing phenotypes of the bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a polymicrobial setting:
- The overall goal of my research is to understand bacterial communication also known as quorum sensing and the biofilm formation. The students under my supervision are working with several laboratory strains of the bacteria that can cause opportunistic infections in immune-compromised people and in hospital settings. The rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria is a clear public health challenge, and the proposed research work on characterizing quorum sensing at the molecular level will increase our understanding of how such opportunistic bacteria flourish.
- Project-2 (Biotechnology): Isolation & Purification of bacterial secondary metabolites by Fermentation Technology
- The goal of this research project is to isolate commercially relevant microbial by products that have various applications. Efforts are currently underway to purify enzymes and pigments from the commonly found soil bacteria by various modes of fermentation technology.
- Michael Grune, Shamala Raja and Kokila Kota (2020). Virulence Factors of Pseudomonas aeruginosa: Differential Expression of Pyocyanin Pigment in a Polymicrobial Setting; Eighth Annual Scholar’s Day Symposium, School of Theoretical and Applied Science, Ramapo College of New Jersey, Mahwah, NJ; (Poster Presentation & Oral Talk)
- Reilly Goodwin, Stacey Hauk and Kokila Kota (2021). Investigating the Biofilm Formation of the Bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a Polymicrobial Setting; Ninth Annual Scholar’s Day Symposium, School of Theoretical and Applied Science, Ramapo College of New Jersey, Mahwah, NJ; (Poster Presentation)
Professor Amruth Kumar Computer Science
- Problets is an on-going research project to develop intelligent tutors for programming concepts. It has been supported by several grants from the National Science Foundation. Students who have worked on the project have gone on to present their work at international conferences held in such locations as Denmark, Hawaii, Italy and Spain. Additional information about the project can be found at http://problets.org. Information about how students can participate in the project can be found at http://problets.org/about/students/.
- “A Mid-Career Review of Teaching Computer Science I”, Proceedings of The Forty-fourth SIGCSE (Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education) Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education}, SIGCSE 2013, Denver, CO, 3/6-9/2013, 531-536.
- “The Effect of Interleaving an Alternate Task During Tutoring and Testing”, Proceedings of Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE 2012), Seattle, WA, 10/3-6/2012, 1024-1028.
- “A Study of Stereotype Threat in Computer Science”, Proceedings of Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2012), Haifa, Israel, 7/3-5/2012, 273-278.
Professor Donovan McFeron Mathematics
Donovan McFeron, Geena Cockcroft, and Rebecca Fiorillo.
- Joint Mathematics Meetings in San Diego, CA. January 2013.
- University of Notre Dame’s Seminar for Undergraduate Mathematics Research Conference. March 2013.
- Ramapo College Poster Day. April 2013.
Professor Rob Mentore Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Melissa Ciandella, John Viola, and Robert Mentore, Binding Interactions Between Fibrinogen and Monomolecular Films of Acrylic Polymers. 12th Annual Student Research Symposium, Ramapo College of New Jersey, Mahwah, NJ 07430, April 17th, 2013. 15th Undergraduate Research Symposium, Hudson-Bergen Chemical Society, Fairleigh-Dickinson University, Teaneck, NJ, April 26th, 2013. 61st Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium, The New York Chemistry Students’ Association of the American Chemical Society’s New York Section, City College of the City University of New York, Manhattan, NY, April 27th, 2013.
Professor Carrie Miller Chemistry & Environmental Science
- Brooks, S., Miller, C., Riscassi, A., Lowe, K., Dickson, J., Schwartz, G. (2021) Increasing Temperature and Flow Management Alter Mercury Dynamics in East Fork Poplar Creek. Hydrological Processes. Available online. DOI 10.1002/hyp.14344.
- Abdelmageed, Y, Miller, C, Sanders, C , Egbo, T , Johs, A , Robertson, BK. (2021) Assessing microbial communities related to mercury transformations in contaminated streambank soil. Water Air Soil Pollut. 232: 31.
- Christensen, G., Gionfriddo, C., King, A., Moberly, J., Miller, C., Somenahally, A., Callister, S., Brewer, H., Podar, M., Brown, S., Palumbo, A., Brandt, C., Wymore, A., Brooks, S., Hwang, C., Fields, M., Wall, J., Gilmour, C., Elias, D. (2019) Determining the Reliability of Measuring Mercury Cycling Gene Abundance with Correlations with Mercury and Methylmercury Concentrations. Environ. Sci. Technol.53:8649-8663.
- Demer, J., Blum. J., Brooks, S., Donovan, P., Riscassi, A., Miller, C., Zheng, W., Gu, B. (2018) Hg isotopes reveal in-stream processing and legacy inputs in East Fork Poplar Creek, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, USA. Enviro. Sci.: Process Impacts. 20:686-707.
- Christensen, G., Somenahally, A., Moberly, J., Miller, C., King, A., Gilmour, C., Brown, S., Podar, M., Brandt, C., Brooks, S., Palumbo, A., Wall, J., Elias, D. (2017) Carbon Amendments Alter Microbial Community Structure and Net Mercury Methylation Potential in Sediments. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. DOI 10.1128/AEM.01049-17.
- Riscassi, A., Miller, C., Brooks, B. (2016) Seasonal and flow-driven dynamics of particulate and dissolved mercury and methylmercury in a stream impacted by an industrial mercury source. Environ. Tox. and Chem. 35:1386-1400.
- Miller, C., Watson, D., Lester, B., Howe, J., Philips, D., Liang, L., Pierce, E. (2015). Formation of soluble mercury oxide coatings: transformation of elemental mercury in soil. Environ. Sci. Technol. 49:12105-12111.
Professor Emma Rainforth Environmental Science
- Rainforth. E.C. 2012. ‘Consequences of Fracking. Saving the Natural World: 50th Anniversary of ‘Silent Spring’: Ramapo College of New Jersey, December 2012.
- Rainforth. E.C. 2012. ‘New Jersey’s Public Lands: an invaluable resource for geology education”. Geological Association of New Jersey 24th Annual Meeting, October 12-13, 2007. Geology and Public Lands: Field Guide and Proceedings, Geological Association of New Jersey 29th Annual Conference and Field Trip.
Professor Lorraine Santangelo Nursing
- Santangelo, L. An Interpreted Journey of Professional Growth Among Female Baccalaureate Nursing Students: A Hermeneutic Study of Mindfulness Practices. Seton Hall University, 34th Reinkemeyer Research Conference. South Orange, NJ. March 2022.
Professor Cristina Sterns Nursing
- Perez – Stearns, C. Lessons in leadership from Disney: Breaking ground for Hispanic nursing students. National League for Nursing Education Summit. Anaheim, CA. September 2012.
Professor Ash Stuart Biochemistry & Bioinformatics
- Biology & Bioinformatics – Gagun Namburi, Ash Stuart, Yan Xu, Bioinformatics Analysis of Switchgrass (Panicum virgatum): An Examination of GEO Datasets to Determine Which Factors Affect Growth and Yield. Ramapo College Honors Symposium, April 24th, 2020.
- Biochemistry & Bioinformatics – James Martinez, Michael Sooy, Ash Stuart. Computational Modeling and Experimental Analysis of DuraPETase, A Thermostable Variant of PETase Plastic Degrading Enzyme, Scholars’ Day Oral & Poster presentation, April 20th, 2022.
- Evan Clayton, Maria Khawaja, Jessica Lovejoy and Dr. Ash Stuart, Structural Studies and Expression Analysis of Susceptible Respiratory Genes in Asthmatic Pathways using Bioinformatics Tools – Role of Major Gene players in Asthmatic Pathways. Ramapo College Presented at the TAS Research Symposium and also Ramapo College Poster Day.
Professor Eric Wiener Environmental Science
- Fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, for over 25 years Dr. Wiener has been actively involved in research and other scholarship related to forest restoration ecology and sustainable forest management by small landholders in Peruvian and Brazilian regions of the Amazon basin. Since joining the Ramapo College faculty in 2002, Dr. Wiener has been conducting extensive field research with strong student involvement about accelerated ecological change in forests of the New Jersey / New York Highlands. In recent years, Dr. Wiener has also been conducting field research about raptor migration via the Ramapo Mountains, and the restoration and ecology of native wildflower meadows. Dr. Wiener’s research interests also include sustainable landscaping and environmental stewardship.
- Selected list of conference presentations stemming from collaboration between Dr. Eric Wiener and Ramapo College students:
- Finocchio, M., Wiener, E. 2016. Tree mortality, canopy openings and plant species composition in a hardwood forest of the New Jersey Highlands. Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Kutztown, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Mayberry, M., Wiener, E. 2016. A native wildflower meadow at Ramapo College of New Jersey: establishment, maintenance and data from the first two years. Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Kutztown, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Batren, Z., Wiener, E. 2016. Two Fall seasons of raptor migration data from the Ramapo Mountains: helping understand regional trends. Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Kutztown, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Bara, D., Wiener, E. 2015. Spatial distribution of American chestnut (Castanea dentata) seedlings and saplings in a forest tract along the highest ridge of the New Jersey Highlands. Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Adrion, L., Wiener, E. 2014. Eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) health across habitat gradients in the presence of woolly adelgids (Adelges tsugae). Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter, University Park, Maryland, USA.
- Wlodawski, B., Myers, A., Wiener, E. 2014. Severe weather and tree mortality in a mixed hardwood forest of the New Jersey Highlands. Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter, University Park, Maryland, USA.
- Wiener, E. M., Clark, M., Farrell, M., Rodgers, K., Camargo, K., Burke, S. Capozzi, Coraggio, P., Sposato, N., Jones, J., McArdle, M., Ratajczak, M, Zalme, O. 2011. Differences in forest dynamics across ridge sites in the New Jersey Highlands. Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Montclair, New Jersey, USA.
- Zalme, O., Ratajczak, M., Newhouse, M. Wiener, E. 2011. Microhabitat use by songbirds on a capped landfill during three autumn migration seasons. -Annual Meeting of the American Ornithologists’ Union, Jacksonville, Florida, USA.
- Klein, M., Wiener, E. M. 2009. Tree selection by foraging, male red-eyed vireos (Vireo olivaceus) in a New Jersey Highlands forest. Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Ewing, New Jersey, USA.
- Farrell, M., Wiener, E. M. 2007. Impacts of tree seedling browsing by white-tailed deer on forest dynamics in the New Jersey and New York Highlands. Annual Meeting of the Eastern Colleges Science Conference, Bronx, New York, USA.
Professor Yan Xu Biology
- Liu, H., J. Li, Y. Chen, Y. Xu and J. Xu. 2018. Profiling of heat-responsive microRNAs in creeping bentgrass (Agrostis stolonifera L.). Current Bioinformatics 13: 319-327.
- Jespersen, D., E. Merewitz, Y. Xu, J. Honig, S. Bonos, W. Meyer and B. Huang. 2016. Quantitative trait loci associated with physiological traits for heat tolerance in creeping bentgrass. Crop Science 56: 1314-1329.
- Courtney, A. (’15), J. Xu and Y. Xu*. 2016. Responses of growth, antioxidants and gene expression in smooth cordgrass (Spartina alterniflora) to various levels of salinity. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 99: 162-170. [* Corresponding author]
- Mapes, C. (’13) and Y. Xu*. 2014. Photosynthesis, vegetative habit and culinary properties of sage (Salvia officinalis) in response to low-light conditions. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 94: 881-889. [* Corresponding author]
- Xu, Y., H. Du and B. Huang. 2013. Identification of metabolites associated with superior heat tolerance in thermal bentgrass through metabolic profiling. Crop Science 53: 1626-1635.
- Xu, Y., C. Zhan and B. Huang. 2011. Heat shock proteins in association with heat tolerance in grasses. International Journal of Proteomics Volume 2011