In December 2015, the Faculty Assembly Library Renovation Task Force (FALRTF) was formed and charged to (1) prepare a white paper with detailed quantitative and qualitative data on the current condition of the Library, (2) draw comparisons with libraries at competitor institutions, and (3) present its recommendations to the Faculty Assembly for approval and, upon approval by the FA, for presentation to the President’s Cabinet.
In January 2016, the Board of Trustees approved the submission of a capital request for state bond funds for renovations to the George T. Potter Library and the addition of a learning commons.
In April of 2016, the FALRTF issued its Final Report. Included in its report was a recommendation to the College to assess the feasibility of remediating the current Library space and, depending on the feasibility of renovation, it further recommended that the College immediately pursue funds to remediate, upgrade, and expand the current facility, or else build a new facility that is closely aligned with best practices. The report’s recommendation aligned well with the College’s Campus Facilities Master Plan which also articulated that the Library merited renewal and expansion as a Learning Commons in order to better serve students and to also function as a new and high profile main entrance to the Phase 1 Academic Building.
George T. Potter Library
In June 2016, significant support for the project was secured through the State of New Jersey Higher Education Capital Financing Grant Program for Ramapo College. $15 million was awarded for the renovation of the George T. Potter Library and for the addition of a new Learning Commons.
In September 2016, President Mercer established the President’s Library/Learning Commons Task Force. The Task Force was charged to routinely engage with their respective stakeholder groups, design professionals, and others to inform and shape the form, function, and aesthetic of presented plans and designs.
The President’s Library/Learning Commons Task Force includes:
- Roark Atkinson, Assistant Professor, Salameno School of Humanities and Global Studies
- Beth Barnett, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Cathy Davey, Vice President of Institutional Advancement & Executive Director of the Foundation
- Sara Gazzillo, Executive Assistant to the President (Recording Secretary)
- Ryan Greff, Commuter Student Representative (Advisory)
- Leigh Keller, Associate Professor & Librarian
- Erin McKenna, Immediate Past President, Student Government Association
- Peter P. Mercer, College President, Task Force Chair
- Steven Perry, Dean of the School of Contemporary Arts
- Stephanie Scheeler, Director of Special Events and Presidential Facilities
- Elizabeth Siecke, Dean of the George T. Potter Library
- Timothy Babasade, Director of Client Services
- Susan Vallario, Secretary, Board of Trustees
- Melissa Van Der Wall, Dean of Students
- Kirsten DaSilva, Vice President of Administration and Finance (Advisory)
- Representatives of Ramapo’s Capital Planning Team (Advisory)
On November 21, 2016, the Board of Trustees approved a tentative budget for the project with defined funding sources and shortly thereafter, the President’s Library/Learning Commons Task Force began its work in earnest.
Summary of President’s Library/Learning Commons Task Force Activity: