The safety of everyone in the Ramapo College Community is the primary concern of the Office of Facilities. Periodic fire drills are conducted throughout campus.
For the protection of all of the college community, the Office of Facilities urges:
- Do not use extension cords
- Use fused surge protectors
- Refrain from the use of decorative lighting.
- In all science labs: please follow all safety instructions.
- Do not smoke within 25 feet of any building. Discard cigarettes in marked receptacles.
- Do not use candles. Contact Environmental Health and Safety at Ext. 7531 for a candle use permit for events.
- Upon alarm activation, immediately proceed to the nearest exit. Do not use the elevator. Report to your designated Assembly Area. Assembly Areas are posted outside for each building. The signs are red and have white lettering. An Emergency Coordinator will meet you at the Assembly Area and provide additional instructions. Emergency Coordinators can be identified by their yellow vest. Become familiar with your Assembly Area and two evacuation routes out of each area.
In case of any evacuation procedure, disabled persons should evacuate the building if they are on the first floor. If a disabled person is above the first floor, he or she should go to the nearest Area of Rescue Assistance and notify Public Safety of their location. There is a phone in each area of rescue assistance that automatically dials Public Safety. Disabled persons should stay in this area and await help. Below is a list of Areas of Rescue Assistance.
- At the top of each stairway in A-E Wings
- Each floor of G Building at the center stairwell.
- Second floor stairwell of the H building.
- Each stairwell of the Berrie Center.
- Stairwells in each Residence Hall.
Fire Suppression Devices
Each Assembly Area, every Residence Hall and all Apartments are equipped with automatic fire suppression devices. Every apartment also has a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. All residence halls and apartments have fire alarm systems that are connected to Public Safety Headquarters, in addition to fire pull stations, smoke and heat detectors. Do not tamper with any of these devices. If you discharged a manual fire extinguisher for any reason, contact Public Safety immediately at Ext. 6666, and the Facilities Service Desk at Ext. 7663 so that a replacement extinguisher can be installed as quickly as possible.
Emergency Evacuation Tips
If the Fire Alarm Sounds:
- Take your keys and leave the building immediately, being sure to close your door.
- Use the nearest stairway, never the elevator.
- Report to the designated Assembly Area.
- Wait for instructions from Emergency Coordinator, Resident Assistant, Community Assistant, Emergency Personnel or Security Staff.
NOTE: the fire alarm may sound in resident facilities if it detects excessive amounts of smoke from cigarettes (all residence halls are cigarette free and smoking is prohibited) or if certain aerosols (no aerosols allowed in residence halls) are sprayed in or near them. Popcorn poppers, hair dryers, aerosol deodorants, etc. should be used in locations away from the detectors. No matter what the reason, the building must be evacuated every time the fire alarm is activated. Your assistance is appreciated in minimizing accidental activations of the alarm system. Malicious activation of the alarm is likely to result in the loss of housing privileges and possible arrest by the Mahwah Police department.
In the event of a fire:
- Close all doors to the fire area and pull the fire alarm.
- Leave the building as quickly as possible using the stair.
- Call 9-911 to report the fire.
NOTE: when trying to leave a building where fire is present:
- Check the doors from top to bottom (use the back of your hand).
- If hot, do not open the door.
- Leave the door unlocked, so emergency workers can enter.
- If the door is not hot, leave by the stairs.
- If smoke is present, stay low.
- If you encounter heavy smoke, retreat and use another set of stairs
- If you are unable to leave your room, jam wet towels or clothing under the doorjamb to keep smoke out.
- Crack your window open and try to get the attention of firefighters.
- Call Security at Ext. 6666 and report your location.
- Keep a soaked cloth over your mouth and stay low.
- Breathe fresh air near the window.
Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at Ext. 7531 for additional information on campus safety.