Social Work Club
The purpose of the Ramapo Social Work Club is to:
- to acquaint students with the Social Work Program at Ramapo College and the social work professional community;
- to expand the consciousness of the college community with regard to issues of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, politics, economics, national health and welfare, and above all, individual human rights;
- develop a competent nucleus of social work students, who upon graduation will preserve the future of the social work profession.
The club is open to all students at Ramapo College interested in the field of social work. The Social Work Program supports this effort by providing a faculty member to serve as advisors to the club.
The Social Work Club is a community-oriented student organization. Over the years the on-campus events have included college-wide programs on AIDS awareness sexual assault, world hunger and grief and bereavement and speakers on different fields of social work practice. The club is active in the outside community. The members have worked with Habitat For Humanities building homes in Newark, raising funds for local food pantries, and organizing clothing drives for many local social service agencies.
Phi Alpha National Social Work Honor Society
Theta Delta Chapter at Ramapo College
The Phi Alpha Honor Society was established in 1962. The purposes of the society are to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideas. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work
In July 1998, the Social Work Program of Ramapo College was approved as a chapter. During the first year of the Theta Delta Chapter 28 juniors and seniors were installed as members. Since that time more than 60 additional students have been invited to join. The chapter holds an installation ceremony for new members each spring semester.
To be offered membership a student must
- Be a matriculated student at Ramapo College of NJ
- Have achieved junior status and accepted into the Social Work Program
- Have achieved a minimum of a 3.2 overall grade point average
- Have achieved a minimum of a 3.5 in at least 14 credits of social work courses (at least Social Fieldwork, History and Philosophy of Social Welfare, and Theory and Practice of Social Work I)