When any employee moves from a classified, career service title to an unclassified title, the employee will be covered by the terms and conditions of employment that apply to unclassified employees.
Classified employees are those support and professional staff covered by the provision of NJSA 11A and the New Jersey Administrative Code 4A (New Jersey Department of Personnel), and either by the CWA contract or IFPTE contract, depending on their titles.
Unclassified employees are governed by the provisions of NJSA 18A and Board of Trustee Policy. Those unclassified employees covered by the AFT contract include faculty, professional staff and librarians. Those unclassified employees not in a bargaining unit are governed by the provisions of NJSA 18A and Board of Trustee Policy.
When classified staff move into an unclassified title at a higher or lower salary range, as a result of a reclassification or promotion, demotion or successful application for a vacant position, the following will occur:
The salary will be adjusted in accordance with the NJAC 4A and the AFT contract if they are moving into an AFT title. Consideration will be given to movement to a higher step in the range if market considerations warrant a higher salary. If they are moving into a managerial title, the employee may be treated as a new hire for salary purposes. In order to arrive at an appropriate managerial salary, the following may be considered:
- Calculate the promotional formula (or demotional if a lower salary range).
- Consider that figure in light of all relevant factors (education and experience of incumbent, salary compared to other managers in the unit, division and the College, salary compared to similar position outside the College, and any other pertinent information) and make appropriate adjustments.
- With regard to the Managerial Salary Program, if the effective date is between January 1 and July 1, include in the salary adjustment a component for “managerial merit;” then there would be no eligibility for a salary increase before the following fiscal year. If the effective date is after July 1 and prior to January 1, the individual should be included in the following fiscal year’s Managerial Salary Program.
- A classified staff member with permanent status in a classified title who moves to an unclassified title will be eligible for a multi-year appointment or reappointment contract after completion of five years of probationary service. In the case of unclassified AFT titles, length of contract will be determined in accordance with NJSA 18A:60-14 as well as AFT contract, Article XIII G. In the case of unclassified managerial titles, length of contract will be determined by Board of Trustees Policy #449.
- If the unclassified employee does not perform satisfactorily during the probationary contract period, or any subsequent contract periods, there would be no right to return to classified status and the employee would be governed by the provisions of the AFT contract for bargaining unit employees and Board Policy for managerial employees.
Back to Policies / Procedures