Many colleges and universities in North America have begun to implement “Safe” programs on their campuses. Sometimes these programs are called “Safe Zone,” “Safe Space,” “Safe Harbor,” or “Safe On Campus.” The hallmark of these “Safe” programs is the public identification of allies by displaying the “Safe” logo, sticker, or sign on office and residence hall doors. Although it is unclear who first conceived of the “Safe” idea, the earliest we could find was the Ball State University program called “SAFE On Campus (Staff, Administration, and Faculty for Equality)” which was implemented during the 1992-1993 academic year. This program, initiated by the Lesbian, Bisexual, and Gay Student Association, included some of the components that we are using presently at Ramapo College.
The purpose of Safe Zone is to reduce homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, heterosexism, and heteronormativity on the Ramapo College campus, thereby making our campus a safer and freer environment for all members of our community regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Safe Zone prepares members of the campus community, faculty, staff, and students, to serve as resources on LGBTQIA+ issues and also strives to educate the campus community about the Safe Zone program.
What it means to be a Safe Zone Ally
- To be part of a visible network of allies
- To expand knowledge and resources on LGBTQIA+ issues and current events
- To attend events on and off campus
- To use inclusive & affirming language
- To not make assumptions about one’s perceived gender or sexuality
- To provide resources to others
- To address all forms of oppression towards the LGBTQIA+ community
- To work with LGBTQIA+ organizations to create/host programs and schedule trainings/workshops
- To encourage others to become Safe Zone Trained
The Purpose of the Safe Zone Sticker/Button
- The sticker/button is how we display a visible network of allies at Ramapo. Individuals displaying the sticker/button agree to the commitments listed above.
Safe Zone Allies (Old Safe Zone Curriculum)
By Last Name
Nicole Morgan Agard
Debbee Lukacsko, APN
Stein Christian Saeboe
Kez St. Louis
Safe Zone Allies (New Safe Zone Curriculum)
Mary Anne Carletta
Alberta Tamika Quick
Linda Marie Konvit
Elmore Wilson Jr.
Angela M. Brockman