Ramapo College seeks to provide a living environment welcoming to all gender identities; one not limited by the traditional gender binary. Gender Inclusive Housing provides a space for queer, transgender, and gender nonconforming students who may not feel comfortable, safe, or affirmed in traditional housing. Gender Inclusive Housing allows for LGBTQ+ students and allies to live together regardless of sex assigned at birth.
- Gender Inclusive Housing participants must commit to maintaining an inclusive and welcoming living environment free of discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Each resident accepted to live in Gender Inclusive Housing must agree to the Gender Inclusive Housing Agreement and will have responsibility to develop and uphold standards for the community in congruence with valuing all persons and seeking to learn from their diverse experiences and perspectives.
- Participants must also agree to take part in the assessment of the Gender Inclusive Housing program by participating in occasional surveys.
- Participants must also complete Safe Zone Training during their residency in Gender Inclusive Housing.
- Gender Inclusive Housing is a Year Long Contracted Commitment. Participants will commit to living in Gender Inclusive Housing for one full academic year, for the Fall & Spring semester.
- Gender Inclusive Housing residents must adhere to all policies and procedures outlined by the Office of Residence Life.
Gender Inclusive Housing Is NOT:
- Co-ed housing
- Housing for couples
- A place to ask LGBTQ+ people questions about their identity
Gender Inclusive Housing IS:
- A housing option for LGBTQ+ students and allies who do not feel safe or comfortable expressing their identity in traditional housing
- A place where LGBTQ+ people should feel comfortable living on campus
Gender Inclusive Housing Options
- Gender Inclusive Housing options are available throughout campus.
- Gender Inclusive Housing applicants follow the same online housing selection process as all other residential students, with the added step of completing the Orgsync application.
Gender Inclusive Housing is a Year Long Contracted Commitment. Participants will commit to living in gender neutral housing for one full academic year, for the Fall & Spring semester.
- If a Gender Inclusive Housing resident cancels their housing or moves out of the room for any reason, the remaining suitemates must identify a new roommate to fill the vacancy.
- The Office of Residence Life will define the time allocated to find a new suitemate. This window of time will vary depending on time of year and the status of the housing waitlist. If another suitemate(s) is not identified within the time period, the Office of Residence Life reserves the right to place a “wait listed” Gender Inclusive Housing applicant in the suite, leave the vacancy open, combine two or more under capacity suites, or convert the room to a single sex room.
Gender Inclusive Housing Timeline: Fall 2018 – Spring 2019
- December 13th, 2018 1:30pm – Gender Inclusive Housing Information Session and Mixer
- January 29th, 2018 1:00pm – Gender Inclusive Housing Information Session and Mixer
- February 1st, 2018 – Application Opens
- February 1st, 2018 – Housing Deposit Due
- February 15th, 2018 1:00pm – Gender Inclusive Housing Information Session and Mixer
- February 15th, 2018 11:59pm –Application Closes
- March 5th, 2018 – Step 2
- Housing deposit paid
- MUST have a group of 4
- R Number
- Number of credits as of Fall 2017
- Each person in the group MUST submit an application
If you are interested in Gender Inclusive Housing, email the Women’s Center: email@example.com or (201) 684-7468.