CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS PROCEDURE
Certificates may be credit-bearing packages of existing courses(i.e., “Academic Certificates”), non-credit-bearing packages of learning experiences (i.e., “Certificates of Achievement”), or packages combining credit-bearing courses and non-credit-bearing learning experiences.
Types of Certificates
Academic Certificates are organized, coherent programs of study usually comprised of existing credit-bearing courses.
- In addition to credit-bearing courses, Academic Certificates also may include non-credit learning experiences such as seminars, workshops, and modules.
- Academic certificates may be offered at the following levels in compliance with federal and other regulations:
- postsecondary (i.e., below the baccalaureate level) certificate
- post-baccalaureate certificate, which must require at least 18 credits beyond the Bachelor’s level
- post-Master’s certificate, which must require at least 24 credits beyond the Master’s level
Certificates of Achievement (Non-Credit Certificates)
Certificates of Achievement (non-credit certificates) are organized, coherent programs of study comprised entirely of not-for-credit learning experiences, such as seminars, workshops, and modules.
- Certificates of Achievement are not differentiated by level.
- None of the learning experiences include academic credit.
- Certificates of Achievement may be developed by Ramapo College or by third-party vendors.
All proposals for new certificate programs must complete the following steps:
- Obtain approval of the concept and proposal from the Provost (or designee). (Non-credit-bearing Certificate of Achievement program provided by third-party vendors do not require approval beyond this point. The Provost will notify the Board of Trustees of these certificate programs.
- Submit a full ARC program proposal. Academic Certificates must follow the ARC Guidelines for New Program Proposals.
For Academic Certificates containing any credit-bearing experiences, approvals must be received from the following units or entities in this order:
- Convening Group (if the content pertains to a Convening Group)
- Unit Council(s) (if the content pertains to a particular School(s))
- Dean(s) (if the content pertains to a particular School(s))
- Graduate Council (if a post-baccalaureate or post-Master’s certificate)
- Faculty Assembly
- Board of Trustees
The Academic Certificate must also be submitted to the Academic Issues Committee of the New Jersey Presidents’ Council as an information item only (i.e., no approval is required).
Ramapo-initiated Certificates of Achievement (non-credit certificates) must be submitted for review, feedback, or approval (as appropriate) to the following units entities in this order:
- Dean associated with the Certificate of Achievement’s discipline (information item; if the content pertains to a Convening Group)
- Convening Group associated with the certificate’s discipline (information item; if the content pertains to a Convening Group)
- Unit Council associated with the certificate’s discipline (information item; if the content pertains to a Convening Group)
- ARC (information item)
- Provost (for approval)
- Board of Trustees (for approval)
- Academic Issues Committee of the New Jersey Presidents’ Council (information item)
Certificate Program Directors work with the Office of the Registrar to determine how academic certificates are noted on transcripts. Academic Certificates are not considered graduation requirements and are removed from the degree audit. The Office of the Registrar is not involved in administering/issuing Certificates of Achievement, which are non-credit-bearing and are not noted on transcripts.