Parent and Family Information
It is important that you, the parent through involvement, be educated about the enriching experience that your son or daughter will have by being involved in a fraternity or sorority. We hope our website informs you of everything you need to know about Greek Life, should your student decide to join a fraternity or sorority.
Currently, Ramapo College of New Jersey has 24 registered and active fraternities and sororities. These groups play an important role in campus life, especially when they provide leadership opportunities, social and academic support, scholarship, friendship and community service. The College supports its Fraternity and Sorority Life programs and expects all individuals to conduct themselves responsibly and with respect for the rights of fellow students.
Please discuss with your student the importance of only participating in registered, active organizations. Available to you on this website you will find a list of currently registered organizations. Additionally, we often find that students’ have a willingness to tolerate behavior that constitutes hazing. Our office aggressively educates to heighten students’ awareness of hazing. However, you may be the person most likely to learn of behaviors that are causing psychological, emotional or physical harm. We would ask that you bring any such concerns to our attention immediately in order for us to actively intervene.
As an educated parent, consider asking the following questions before your child joins a fraternity or sorority:
- What is expected of fraternity/sorority members?
- How will membership affect my son’s/daughter’s academics?
- What leadership opportunities are available to students as both new members and active members?
- Does the chapter perform hands-on community service? If so, how often?
- What are the expenses associated with membership? How does this vary as a new member?
- What type of member is the chapter looking for?
- What values does this organization promote?
- Is the organization officially recognized by the College? If not, why is this the case?
- What is the time commitment?
We encourage you to engage your student in a conversation about their intentions to participate in Fraternity and Sorority Life. We are committed to ensuring that Fraternity and Sorority Life at Ramapo College of New Jersey remains a positive and healthy component of student life. We look forward to your continued partnership with us in support of student success.
Please visit the following links to learn more information about Fraternity and Sorority Life at Ramapo College of New Jersey:
Conduct and Disciplinary Status of Active Chapters