The Elementary Certification Concentration Program option is ideal for students who are specifically interested in:
- earning a degree that is not specifically focused on elementary education; and
- obtaining the NJ Elementary Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing.
The Elementary Certification Concentration program requirements consist of both coursework, distinct course-aligned clinical experiences and a full-year clinical practice internship in a variety of school settings. Required courses may be taken during the traditional fall and spring semesters, summer sessions I and II, winter session and online, see Academic Calendars.
The final year of the student’s academic program is a modified cohort model which requires:
- Fall Semester – completion of the part-time Clinical Practice I internship (180 hours) and co-requisite methods courses
- Spring Semester – completion of the full-time Clinical Practice II internship (525 hours) and co-requisite Capstone Seminar
For additional information regarding the NJ Elementary K – 6 Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing requirements, please visit NJDOE K-6 Elementary CEAS.
Completion of the above program is noted on the student’s official Ramapo College of NJ transcripts. Guidance is provided for students to successfully apply to the state of New Jersey for the NJ Elementary Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing.
See Full Program Requirements
- Prospective students are strongly encouraged to consult with Joanne Caselli (201-684-7626) prior to enrollment in or application to this program.
- Current Ramapo education students in Good Academic Standing should use the Major/Minor Declaration Form available through the Registrar’s Office to enroll in this program. Click on “Change of Major/Minor” to access the form.
The Teacher Education Program at Ramapo College of New Jersey is offered through the School of Social Science and Human Services which is fully certified by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Ramapo program is approved by the New Jersey State Department of Education under the standards established by the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification. Teacher preparation candidates are prepared to become student-oriented teachers who design high quality learning activities to meet a broad spectrum of learning styles and learning needs.
The Teacher Education Program at Ramapo College is CAEP accredited through May 2027. Ramapo College is located ideally for access to field experience opportunities. Many outstanding urban, suburban, and rural school districts are within a reasonable distance from the college and are most generous in their efforts to support high standards in teacher preparation.