English/Literary Studies Minor for BSEE Students
Interested BSEE students may pursue the English/Literary Studies Minor. Students who complete the minor will also be eligible for the Middle School ELA Specialization by completing the PSYC 347 (Adolescent Psychology).
The minor in English/Literary Studies program consists of five (5) courses:
- LITR 203 Methods of Literary Study and
- Any four additional LITR courses (one at the 300 level)
BSEE major are required to take two (2) LITR courses (the recommended LITR 302 Grammar: Theory And Pedagogy and LITR 308 Children’s And Young Adult Literature). Therefore, every BSEE major takes two of the five required courses for the LITR minor. The remaining three (LITR 203 and any two additional LITR courses) are offered every semester. Most majors can complete the minor within a single summer semester.
Benefits of the Elementary/Literary Studies Minor:
- With only three additional courses, BSEE majors earn an additional credential
valued by schools and potentially enhancing career prospects
- The English/Literary Studies minor offers valuable content area knowledge central
to English language arts, an essential field for elementary- and middle-level teachers.
- English/Literary Studies courses offer not just additional writing instruction
for teachers in training, but increased opportunity to learn writing pedagogy.
- LITR courses like LITR 235 African American Literature, LITR 279 The Graphic Novel, LITR 304 History of The English Language, and LITR 306 Literary Theory are already recognized by faculty in English/Literary Studies Studies and Elementary Education as offering particular value.
- BSEE students who earn the LITR minor also satisfy the content area coursework requirements for the NJ Middle School ELA Certification Specialization certification.
- BSEE students who earn the LITR minor may choose to expand their credentials to earn the additional NJ K-12 ELA Teacher certification. This minor places that goal within their grasp with careful advising.