Undergraduate students must meet minimum residency requirements in order to be certified to graduate.
Residency Requirement Procedure
To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree, undergraduate degree candidates must complete:
- a minimum of 48 credits at Ramapo College;
- the final 32 credits at Ramapo College or in a Ramapo College-approved study abroad program or experience;
- a minimum of half the requirements of a major, second major, or minor at Ramapo College. Students should refer to the Majors section of the Catalog for residency requirements for specific majors; and
- a minimum of 64 credits (not including “P” grades) completed at Ramapo College and a cumulative grade point average (including “R” grade credits) of at least 3.5 are required in order to be awarded Latin Honors. Refer to ‘Graduation with Distinction “Latin Honors”’ for additional information regarding the criteria for the awarding of Latin Honors.
The Graduation Office will verify that the Undergraduate Residency Requirement has been met.
Students who wish to petition for exclusions from these residency requirements must initiate the petition process with the Registrar, who will forward petitions to the Provost (or their designee) for approval. After consultation with the Dean of the school that offers the student’s primary major, the Provost (or their designee) will render a decision and communicate that decision to the student, their Dean, and the Registrar. The rendered decision is final.
Students permitted to study at other institutions as part of their degree programs as prescribed by approved institution-to-institution agreements (e.g., 3+3 pre-health programs and 3+1 agreements) do not need to petition for exclusions to the residency requirements for the purpose of attending those institutions. Specifically, students who transfer the maximum allowable number of credits earned at other accredited colleges and universities and who also meet any of the criteria listed below do not need to petition for exclusions to the residency requirements so long as they satisfy the remaining Ramapo coursework requirements identified after transfer evaluation.
- the student is studying in a program that is identified in an approved institution-to-institution agreement, such as RN-to-BSN and 3+1 agreements; or
- the student is an enrolled and approved member of a New Jersey statewide initiative program cohort such as “NJ Come Home.”