It is the policy of the College that faculty may transfer or be transferred from the School of initial appointment to another School based on programmatic or curricular change, fiscal emergency, or academic retraining.
Procedure – Transfer of Faculty from one School to another
Tenure-track faculty is appointed by the Board of Trustees with a specific title, reflective of the academic training, expertise and curricular delivery expectation. Such appointments are made to a specific, primary convening group housed within a specific School. Transfer or reassignment to another School is exceptional and only possible through the procedure described below.
Reasons for requests for transfer
- Programmatic or curricular change – an existing program may be curtailed or eliminated or a new program may be started in another School where new or additional expertise is needed.
- Faculty undergoes retraining in a related discipline at the request of the college and is reassigned because of a programmatic need
- Fiscal emergency results in a reduction in force and, in accordance with contractual obligation, tenured faculty must be given an opportunity to be reassigned as a first option of implementing Reduction In Force (RIF).
Initiation of transfer process
- A faculty member may make such a request to her/his School Dean.
- A Dean proposes the transfer of faculty member for programmatic or fiscal reasons.
- The Provost proposes the transfer for programmatic or fiscal reasons.
Once the faculty member, Deans of both Schools and Provost have agreed that there is justification for a transfer, the following must be specified in writing:
- Justification/Reason for transfer
- Logistics – time table, effective date of transfer, office space, curricular obligation
- Identify the School into which the faculty member is transferring
- Identify the convening group into which the faculty is transferring
- New title of faculty member, if change is required
(prepared with the assistance of Employee Relations)
Written request from/to faculty, Dean or Provost
Written approval of Dean, Provost, President and BOT
BOT Resolution for title change, if needed
New letter of appointment