Skip to Health Services site navigationSkip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need an appointment to be seen?

Yes, students are usually seen the same day or within 24 hours of calling for an appointment.

Can I be seen without an appointment?

No, all students must have an appointment.  If you are having an emergency, please dial 911.

Is there a charge for a visit to Health Services?

The office visit is free. However, there is a charge for medications dispensed, laboratory testing, and specialty clinics (Reproductive and Sexual Health Clinic, Flu Clinic).The cost for these items are billed to your student account as “Health Services” with no information about the type of service received. Students are able to pay off the amount with the Office of Student Accounts, which will remove the charge from your account.

Can any student use Health Services?

Any currently enrolled student can use Health Services for your healthcare needs.

Would I be seeing a doctor if I go to Health Services?

A Nurse Practitioner would see you. Our staff consists of two Board Certified Nurse Practitioners. Nurse Practitioners can examine, diagnose, and treat patients as well as prescribe medications and treatments.

Will Health Services provide me with a medical excuse for work or class?

If you are evaluated at the time of your illness, Health Services can provide documentation that you were seen in our office on that date.  However, an excused absence is up to the discretion of your professor.

How are prescriptions handled?

The College does not have an in-house pharmacy. We do dispense some of the more common medications such as antibiotics and Plan B. If you receive a medication from Health Services, the cost is billed to your college account. We do not accept payment in Health Services. If you are given a prescription, you will need to take this prescription to the local pharmacy to have it filled.

I need regular blood tests because of the type of medicine I am taking. Can Health Services’ draw my blood so I do not have to go off campus?

No, Health Services is not a laboratory draw site and cannot accept a prescription from a community medical provider. If you are utilizing an insurance plan to cover the cost of your laboratory work, you must check with your medical insurance provider as to which laboratory is covered under your plan.

My doctor has ordered Physical Therapy for me. Can I get that on campus?

No, Physical Therapy is not available on campus. Check with your medical insurance provider to Physical Therapy offices in the area.

I take allergy shots. Can I get them in Health Services?

Yes, Health Services provides this service. Please contact Health Services to enroll in our allergy clinic.

I live off campus. Can I still use Health Services?

Yes. Health Services is available to any currently enrolled student, full time or part time, undergraduate or graduate.

What do I do if I am too sick to come to Health Services? Do you make house calls to my room?

Health Services does not make house calls. If you are on campus, you can call Public Safety to transport you to Health Services. A Campus Public Safety Officer, if available, will be dispatched to assist you. You can also dial 911 for emergency assistance. EMS, Campus Public Safety and Mahwah Police will be dispatched to assist you. If you live off campus, you can certainly call Health Services and we will advise you or you can call 911.

What do I do if I need medical attention after hours?

If a student requires non-emergency medical attention when Health Services is closed, you can see a community medical provider.  The Ramapo Shuttle offers free shuttle service to CityMD on a limited schedule.

Do I have to go to the hospital by ambulance? Can Public Safety take me to the emergency room?

Unless you have a friend with a car, or use a transportation service such as Uber ambulance transport is your only choice. Sometimes, an ambulance is your best choice especially for more severe injuries and illnesses. Public Safety does not transport sick or injured students.

I do not live in campus housing. Do I still call Public Safety if I need medical assistance after hours?

No, Call 911 to activate your local emergency response system.

What if I have an emergency?

In the event of an emergency, dial 9-911 from any campus telephone to activate the emergency response system. You can also contact Public Safety by dialing 6666 from any campus telephone.

What hospitals are in the area?

Good Samaritan Hospital & Trauma Center 255 Lafayette Avenue, Suffern, NY 10901 is approximately 10 minutes from campus.

The Valley Hospital 223 North Van Dien Avenue, Ridgewood, NJ 07450 is approximately 16 minutes from campus.

*Please note, as of 6 a.m. on Sunday, April 14, 2024 The Valley Hospital Emergency Department in Ridgewood (223 North Van Dien Ave., Ridgewood) will permanently be relocated to Paramus (4 Valley Health Plaza, Paramus; for GPS, use 650 Winters Ave., Paramus).

New Bridge Medical Center 230 East Ridgewood Avenue, Paramus, NJ 07652 is approximately 20 minutes from campus.

Hackensack University Medical & Trauma Center 30 Prospect Avenue, Hackensack, NJ 07601 is approximately 26 minutes from campus.

Can I keep medicine in my room?


Can Health Services store my medicine for me?

No, it is the student’s responsibility to store his or her own medicine.

Does Health Services need to know what medicine I keep in my room?

No. However, we would like to know that you are taking medicine. Please make sure you note this on you Health History Form that you would complete upon your first visit to our office.

I take medication that I have to inject. How do I dispose of used needles and sharps?

Health Services will supply you with a rigid, puncture resistant sharps container. When the container is full, return it to Health Services and you will receive another container. We will make sure to dispose of your sharps container through our Hazardous Waste Disposal.
Please note that improper disposal of syringes or hypodermic needles are regulated by NJ State Law. This Statute prohibits any person from discarding disposable or reusable syringes, needles and other medical sharps in public or private places that are accessible to other person without destroying the needle and syringe. Violators of this State Law can be fined up to $500,000 and/or imprisoned. You can also be sued if someone was injured by your improper disposal.