What is STAMP?
- An adaptive online test designed to assess world language proficiency in reading and writing
- A series of test items based on real-world, everyday situations written by native speakers that determines levels of proficiency defined by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages – ACTFL
What STAMP test sections are required by Ramapo College? (You must complete all 4 sections to be graded)
What world languages are tested with STAMP?
- STAMP tests are available in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
When will I get my scores?
- STAMP test scores are usually available within 2-3 business days of the test date. The Testing Center will mail a copy of your Individual Student Score Report to you as soon as it becomes available.
How will my STAMP scores be used?
- The STAMP Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking scores are averaged and used to determine language course placement
- Reading score range is 1 to 9
- Writing score range is 1 to 9
- Listening score range is 1 to 9
- Speaking score range is 1 to 9
- Final score range is 1.0 to 9.0
How many times may I take the STAMP test?
- Students may only take the STAMP test one time; no re-test option is available
- Students are advised to review the Student Guide and take the sample test available at www.stamptest.net
STAMP Test Final Scores & Course Placements
- 1.0 to 1.5 Foundations I (course 101)
- 1.6 to 3.0 Foundations II (course 111)
- 3.1 to 4.5 Intermediate I (course 201)
- 4.6 to 6.0 Intermediate II (course 202)
- 6.1 to 8.0 Eligible for 300-level course
- 8.1 to 9.0 Eligible for 400 Level Course
How do I prepare for the STAMP test?
- Practice world language speaking and writing every day
- Log on the www.stamptest.net and take the practice test
Where do I go to take the STAMP test?
- The STAMP test is administered by a proctor through the Testing Center at Ramapo College. A test registration form link is provided at the top of this page to schedule an appointment time.
Is there a fee to take the STAMP test?
- There is a $25.00 non-refundable test administration fee for the STAMP test that is due at time of testing by personal check or money order made payable to Ramapo College (preferred payment method) or cash (exact amount)
- Checks returned due to insufficient funds will incur a $30.00 handling fee