Academic Requirement: SLE is a complete service learning program and hence,requires students to register in a 1 unit Independent Study course for service learning with SLE faculty.
Eco-Stewardship Requirement: Students will commit to 40 hours of ecological stewardship work through the academic year, about 20 hours a semester. Ecological leadership work will involve engagement with RA’ and also student club leaders to promote campus sustainability. Service opportunities may include: ResLife Recycling liaison to Student Recycling Crew (collect data on volume of recyclables, encourage compliance across Residences); Liaison with Ramapo Green, 1STEP, SGA, ResLife etc.; Engage with the two organic gardens on campus (near SEC and Redwood CPA).
Students will also be expected to be attend sustainability events on campus.
Sustainable Living Requirement: As SLE Program participants, students will be expected to take a leadership role as well as abide by the Ramapo Green Sustainability Pledge. This is geared toward inculcating a green life style and to encourage students to reduce their footprint on campus.
Examples of actions which students are expected to undertake include:
- 100% recycling compliance (commingled, paper, cardboard, batteries, CFLs, etc.)
- promote indoor air quality and limit environmental degradation by using ‘green’ cleaning supplies
- make sustainable food choices
- reduce their personal carbon footprint
- by taking fewer single-occupancy car trips – carpool, combine trips
- by using mass transit
- by conserving energy (electricity, heat) and water