Skip to Ramapo College Policies and Procedures site navigationSkip to main content

Motor Vehicle

Section Title:Administrative
Policy Number:641
Policy Name:Motor Vehicle
Approval Authority:President’s Cabinet
College Policy Executive:Chief Planning Officer
Responsible Executive:Director of Facilities & Critical Infrastructure Security
Responsible Unit:Facilities
Date Adopted:February 18, 2015



The College maintains a fleet of motor vehicles to support the transportation needs of the College community. The Motor Vehicle Policy sets forth the requirements for the use of College owned, leased, or rented vehicles by a College employee while on official College business. College employees include full and part time faculty and staff, and an officer or servant, whether compensated or not, who is authorized to perform any act or service within his/her scope of employment. Students are not authorized to operate College owned, leased or rented vehicles unless they are acting as employees within the scope of job responsibilities and on official College business. The Motor Vehicle Procedures set forth terms and conditions under which vehicles used for official College business must be operated. The College reserves the right to deny or revoke the driving privileges of any driver who does not meet or follow the requirements of this policy and procedures.

Reason for Policy

To ensure the safety of drivers, passengers, members of the College community and the public as well as minimize losses, damages, and claims against the College.

To Whom Does the Policy Apply

All employees, officers and servants (as defined in section #1 above) to whom the College grants the privilege to operate a motor vehicle for official College business.

Related Documents

Motor Vehicle Procedures
Employee Driver Authorization Application
Request for College Vehicle


Director of Facilities & Critical Infrastructure Security
(201) 684-7666


These Motor Vehicle Procedures address the circumstances under which employees may be approved to drive College vehicles. For the purposes of these procedures, College vehicles refer to “all motor vehicles, including golf carts, owned, leased or rented by the College. “ All units who have employee drivers shall appoint a representative who will be responsible for maintaining a list of the unit’s authorized drivers and work with the Department of Human Resources to ensure compliance with the Motor Vehicle Policy, Motor Vehicle Procedures and all training requirements. Supervisors should meet annually with each of their approved drivers to review the Motor Vehicle Policy and Procedures and their responsibilities for safe operation.

The Department of Human Resources will verify employees’ driving records and collect verification documentation pertaining to completion of the required defensive driving course. The sponsoring unit of each authorized driver will cover training costs. Units will be held responsible should an accident occur involving an unauthorized driver. The units will be charged the cost to repair any damage to a College vehicle resulting from the use by an unauthorized driver.


Drivers must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and have a valid U.S. driver’s license in good standing. Drivers are required to report any change in license status (convictions, suspensions or revocations) to the Department Of Human Resources and their unit directors immediately. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary actions up to and including termination. Only employees defined above with proper authorization may operate a motor vehicle for official College business and within the scope of employee’s employment.

Authorized drivers may have their driving privileges revoked at any time for failure to comply with the College’s Motor Vehicle Policy and Motor Vehicle Procedures.

Verifying Driving Record

All College employees who drive a College owned, leased or rented vehicle are required to produce appropriate documentation of a license to drive and operate a vehicle in one of the 50 states in the U.S. Employees who drive a College vehicle will undergo an annual Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) driver license check for restrictions, suspension or revocation of driving privileges before receiving approval to drive a College vehicle. Employees operating a College vehicle must complete an “Employee Driver Authorization Application” form. The completed Driver Authorization forms are to be returned to the Department of Human Resources along with a copy of the applicant’s driver’s license. Approval or denial will be communicated via email to the unit director and applicant. The College reserves the right to deny, suspend, or revoke driving privileges of College vehicles based on the initial or subsequent review of motor vehicle records.

Employees who are required to operate a motor vehicle as part of their essential job functions are subject to the same eligibility requirements and will automatically have their driving records checked on an annual basis for restrictions, suspensions or revocations. Employees are not permitted to drive a College vehicle with a “provisional” or court restricted license. The College reserves the right, at its sole discretion to suspend driving privileges for accumulation of points or convictions of certain offenses.

Prospective employees, whose positions require a valid driver’s license as an essential function of the job may be offered a position contingent upon driver license verification.


All College employees who operate a vehicle as a requirement of their job or who are assigned a College owned, leased or rented vehicle, must successfully complete a defensive driver safety-training course every three (3) years before receiving approval to drive a College owned, leased or rented vehicle. Training is provided in two different formats, in person (on campus) or on-line. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety will manage the in person training. On campus training will be offered twice per semester. The Department of Human Resources will manage online training through a third party. Sponsoring units will be responsible for the cost of on-line training.

Employees may take a defensive driving course with an outside provider certified by the National Safety Council. Environmental Health and Safety must approve outside courses and the employee is responsible for any costs/fees. A certificate of completion from an approved vendor within the last three years must be presented to the Department of Human Resources in order to satisfy this requirement.

Only authorized and certified drivers may drive a College vehicle. Drivers for whom vehicles have been signed out or rented are not authorized to delegate driving responsibilities to other drivers except in an emergency and only when delegated driver has been authorized and certified to drive a College vehicle.

Driver Responsibility

Drivers must comply with the following when operating a college owned, leased or rented vehicle:

  • Vehicles must be driven in a safe and careful manner in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws and college regulations, at all times. Drivers assume responsibility for payment of any traffic violations, citations or parking fines received.
  • Driver must park vehicle legally with engine off and doors locked when vehicle is left unattended.
  • Only individual affiliated with the College, i.e. faculty, staff, students, or invited guests are to be transported in a College vehicle. All passengers must be participating in official College business or event. Personal use is strictly prohibited.
  • Seat belts are to be worn by the driver and all passengers at all times the vehicle is in operation. It is the driver’s responsibility to insure 100% compliance.
  • Driver is prohibited from using a hand held cell phone or texting while driving in accordance with New Jersey and other applicable state motor vehicle laws.
  • Smoking or consuming alcohol or drugs by driver or passengers in a College vehicle is strictly prohibited. Violation of this provision will be grounds for immediate termination of driving privileges.
  • Driver must report any vehicle accident or unforeseen event to the Public Safety Office, unit director and the Office of Business Services immediately. Failure to report may result in the loss of driving privileges.
  • Driver understands that any unauthorized use of a College vehicle for non-college related purposes or personal use would result in revocation of College vehicle driving privileges and possible disciplinary action. Units will be held responsible for any accident arising out of unauthorized use and will be charged for any damage to the College vehicle.
  • A College owned, leased or rented vehicle is to be driven only by the authorized driver indicated on the request form.
  • Gas may be purchased for College owned vehicles with the College credit card if provided with the vehicle. Use of the credit card is restricted to the assigned College vehicle
  • No pets or animals are permitted in College vehicles unless they are service animals.
  • Inform the Department of Human Resources and your supervisor immediately if your license is suspended, revoked or restricted in any way.

Reserving a Fleet Vehicle

The College maintains fleet vehicles available for use by units for official College business or College sponsored programs or events. Reservations can be made by the unit authorizing the travel by filling out the “Request for College Vehicle” form and submitting to the Facilities Department at least 48 hours in advance of date of trip or by Thursday for weekend use.

  • A separate request must be completed for each vehicle and each date requested.
  • Assigned vehicles will be held for one hour after scheduled departure time after which vehicle will be returned to fleet.
  • Vehicles can be picked up at the Public Safety Department or other designated site no earlier than 15 minutes prior to departure time by designated driver. Driver will be required to present driver’s license and Ramapo College ID in order for vehicle to be released.
  • Vehicle and keys are to be returned to the Public Safety Department.

Should weather be inclement, or forecasted to be inclement to the point where travel becomes dangerous, travel may be suspended for fleet vehicles. The Facilities Department shall make determination of suspending travel. Facilities may refuse to release a College vehicle if it is determined to be damaged or unsafe for operation.

College Sponsored Student Travel

When traveling with students for direct support of academic, co-curricular, and extracurricular programs, the following requirements must be adhered to:

  • Only authorized drivers who have met the conditions of the Motor Vehicle Policy and Motor Vehicle Procedures are permitted to drive College owned, leased or rented vehicles.
  • Manifest Form that includes the names of every individual who boards the vehicle must be completed and a copy provided to the Public Safety Department prior to departure.

Rental Vehicles

The College may authorize the rental of a vehicle when a College vehicle is unavailable or other means of transportation would result in a higher cost. Renting of vehicles for official College business should comply with the provisions under the College’s Travel Policy. The College has negotiated preferred rates with selected vendors that include collision damage waiver. All rentals of vehicles for official College business may only be placed with these preferred vendors. Drivers should contact the Purchasing Department on how to make reservations.

Accident Procedures

In the event of an accident, the following procedures must be adhered to:

  • Obtain any medical attention if necessary. Any accident that involves personal injury or property damage must be reported to local police regardless of severity.
  • Exchange information with the other driver (if applicable) and minimally obtain: driver’s license and registration information; insurance company information; and contact phone numbers. In addition, obtain names, addresses and phone numbers of all witnesses.
  • Admit no liability or fault and only make statements to the police or Public Safety Department.
  • Call Public Safety as soon as possible after the accident. Provide written report no later than 24 hours after the accident. Complete a State of New Jersey Vehicle Accident Report (RM1-2) located in all College owned vehicles glove box or available through the Public Safety Department. A written report and Vehicle Accident Report are to be submitted to Public Safety. Public Safety will forward report and information to the College’s Risk Manager in Business Services and the Facilities Department.
  • The College’s Risk Manager or Public Safety Department may contact you to obtain accident information, please respond as promptly as possible. All information and records regarding accidents will be maintained by the College’s Risk Manager in Business Services.

Golf Carts

Due to the potential dangers associated with operating a Golf Cart or Utility Cart all drivers must adhere to the following requirements

  • Complete the defensive driver safety training course
  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Possess a current unrestricted driver’s license
  • Obey all applicable motor vehicle laws and regulations
  • Always yield to pedestrians and limit use in areas where there is high pedestrian traffic
  • Never drive on the walkways under the main academic buildings overhangs.
  • Do not exceed 20 miles per hour
  • Slow down before making sharp turns
  • Never drive while impaired by alcohol, medication, illness, fatigue or injury
  • Ensure strict compliance with capacity limits for occupants
  • Remove key from vehicle when not in use
  • Drive in a defensive manner, anticipating situations that may be hazardous
  • Avoid driving at night
  • Operation of Golf Carts and Utility vehicles are restricted to the College campus. Vehicles are permitted to cross Route 202 only at the traffic light crosswalk. Vehicles are prohibited from driving along Route 202.