2-Year Plan (Full-time students)
Courses are offered either in an online format or during the evenings to accommodate students currently working.
Students are encouraged to enroll in the summer and winter online course offerings for the above requirements when available. DATA 730 – Fieldwork Experiences, which may count towards an elective, is also frequently offered during the summer session.
Students enrolled in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, and Data Science undergraduate 4-year degrees may be eligible for the 4+1 MSDS program.
In some cases, undergraduates are permitted to enroll in MSDS courses. Students who are enrolled in the 4+1 BS to MS Data Science program may take up to 3 graduate courses while completing their Bachelor’s degree. Students not enrolled in the 4+1 program are limited to two courses.
Undergraduates not enrolled in the 4+1 program are subject to the following requirements for enrolling in MSDS courses:
- You must have already completed 96 credits towards your undergraduate degree
- You must have a GPA of 3.0 or greater
- You must receive permission from the Program Director (firstname.lastname@example.org), which will be subject to review of your previous coursework to ensure you are prepared for the course you wish to enroll in.
- Finally, graduate students and 4+1 undergraduates are given priority in situations where a section is reaching it’s maximum capacity. The Program Director may reserve seats in anticipation of graduate or 4+1 students.
To begin MSDS coursework, students must have basic skills in computer programming, statistics, and linear algebra. To remain in good academic standing, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Students with undergraduate degrees in Mathematics, Computer Science, and other quantitative fields will likely meet these requirements based on courses already completed.
- For students without this background, Ramapo offers a variety of paths for students to quickly and economically meet these requirements prior to enrollment. One of the more convenient options is to enroll in our Summer and Winter session online courses designed for students to prepare for their first semester in the MSDS program:
- Work experience will also be considered when evaluating whether a student meets the programming and mathematics requirements for enrollment.
- Each applicant will be evaluated individually by a faculty committee to determine which options are appropriate.
Data Science – (9 credits)
Computer Science – (6 credits)
Mathematics – (6 credits)
Electives (9 credits)
Students must complete two technical electives and one interdisciplinary elective. DATA 730 Fieldwork Experience may be used to replace one of the three total electives. Click the links below to see lists of courses in each category.