Skip to Center for Student Success site navigationSkip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my advisor?

Your assigned advisor is updated during the first month of each semester and can be found at the bottom of your Degree Evaluation.  Advisors in the Center for Student Success advise all first-year students and all undeclared students. Students who have earned 32 credits or more and have a declared major are assigned faculty advisors in their majors.

How do I review my grades?

At the end of the semester, your professors will post their grades online.  To access these grades please follow these steps:

  1. Visit
  2. Click on the red tile for “Web Self Service/Web Registration.”
  3. Click on “Enter Secure Area” and type in your Ramapo email user name and password.
  4. Click on the link for “Student Services and Financial Aid.”
  5. Note you may be asked to log in with your Ramapo email user name and password again.
  6. Click on “Student Profile.”
  7. Click on “Academic Transcript” (found on the menu column on the left).
  8. Click on “all levels” on the drop down menu for “transcript levels.” Click on “internal” on the drop down menu for “transcript type.”
  9. View the transcript with grades.

What is the minimum GPA to stay in the school?

Students must have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average, as well as a 2.0 cumulative grade point average in their major(s) in order to graduate.  If you receive a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.0, you will be placed on academic warning, which could be followed by probation or potential dismissal from Ramapo College.

How do I transfer a course?

If you are interested in transferring a course from another school to Ramapo, you must bring the course ID number from the transfer school and fill out an off-campus study form with an academic advisor.  The full details of transfer credits and the specific restrictions may be found at Off Campus Study.

When/How do I declare or change a major/minor?

To declare a major or minor, visit the Office of the Registrar or the Center for Student Success to pick up a major/minor declaration form.  Once the form is obtained, you must get a signature from the convener of the major or minor and return the signed form to the Office of the Registrar.  This should be done after consulting your advisor.  Be sure to fill this out within a reasonable time before your graduation.

When/How can I drop/add a course?

You can add or drop courses before or within the first week of classes each semester.  After the add/drop period ends, you can no longer add classes to your schedule.  If you need to drop a course, you can withdraw up until a certain point or apply for an incomplete with your professor in which you would finish the course over time.  For deadlines regarding add/drop, withdraw, or incomplete, please refer to the academic calendar.

What do I do to take a semester off (Leave of Absence) or withdraw from the school?

For more information regarding Leave of Absence and withdrawing from Ramapo College, please visit the Leave of Absence/Medical Withdrawal Policy on the Registrar’s website.

What are the requirements for graduation?

Please follow these steps in order to complete your graduation application:

  1. Obtain a graduation application from the Office of the Registrar’s website.
  2. Complete your portion of the application and print a copy of your degree evaluation.
  3. Take the application and degree evaluation to your convener/major advisor to be reviewed and signed
  4. Submit the application to your school’s dean to be signed
  5. Submit your graduation application to the Graduation Office located in D-212C.

How do I get my degree evaluation?

To access your degree evaluation, which outlines your class requirements for your major, please follow these steps:

  1. Visit
  2. Click on Web for Students
  3. Click on Web Registration
  4. Enter the Secure Area and type in your Ramapo login and password
  5. Click on Student and Financial Aid
  6. Click on Student Records
  7. Click on Degree Evaluation
  8. Select the current term and click enter
  9. Click Generate New Evaluation
  10. Click the circle next to you major and click Generate Request
  11. Select detail requirements and click Submit

Can I retake a class if I failed it?

Yes, you can retake up to two classes if you received an “F” in the class.  The “F” will not be removed from your transcript unless you fill out a Repeat Fail (RF) form with the Center for Student Success.  Once you retake the class, the new grade will appear on your transcript in addition to the “RF” and your GPA will be adjusted accordingly.

Do I need to see an advisor before I register?

No, you are not required to see your advisor before you register with the exception of Contemporary Arts and Environmental Science students, but it is strongly recommended that you do to ensure you are on the right track.  Contemporary Arts and Environmental Science students must consult with their assigned faculty advisor prior to registration each Spring. To determine who your advisor is please refer to question 1.

How can I benefit from the orientation program?

The mandatory orientation program provides an opportunity to become acquainted with the school, register for your upcoming semester, get in contact with offices, faculty, and others students, and learn everything your need to know before you start your education at Ramapo College.  For those entering in the fall semester, we offer summer orientations and for those entering in the spring, there are winter orientations available.

What is the First-Year Seminar (FYS) class?

The First-Year Seminar class is a general education requirement for first year students that must be taken during the fall semester of their first year.  For more information regarding this requirement, please visit: