A professional leave shall be available for managerial/professional staff to provide an opportunity to engage in research, enter an educational program or otherwise engage in a program of personal development aimed at improving professional skills mutually beneficial to the College and the employee.
Professional leaves are available to all full-time non-aligned Non-AFT managerial/professional employees, who as of June 30 prior to the year for which the leave is requested, have completed a period of six (6) or more years of service at the College, and then once every six years thereafter.
Number of Leaves Available
Professional leave opportunities will be available each academic semester at the discretion of the President.
Terms of Professional Leaves
- Half-year leaves shall be at full salary.
- Full year leaves shall be at the rate of three quarters (3/4) salary.
- Half-year leaves shall be for six (6) months or less; and full year leaves must be more than six (6) months but shall not exceed twelve (12) months.
- Professional staff on professional leave shall be entitled to the continuation of pension and insurance program benefits as provided in the applicable plans.
- Professional staff and managers on leave are permitted to receive additional compensation in the form of fellowships, government grants, and honoraria for purposes related to the leave, and part-time employment directly related to the project at an institution where they are in residence for the purpose of study and research, or other educational purpose, in addition to the partial salary from the College, provided that total compensation from all sources does not exceed full salary at the College. The leave may not be used to accept paid employment during the period of the leave except as provided above.
The proposal for a professional leave must include:
- A full description of the activity to be undertaken.
- A detailed explanation of how this activity will improve professional skills and be mutually beneficial to the College and the individual.
- The time period for which the leave is requested.
- A description of the individual’s current role, his/her prior service to the College and other contributions to the College community.
The following criteria shall be used in evaluating requests for a Professional Leave:
- The merits of the project to the College.
- The merits of the project to the professional development of the individual.
- The feasibility of completing the project within the time frame stated in the proposal.
- How the leave would impact on the functioning of the Unit.
Conditions Regarding Subsequent Service at the College
Recipients of the leave agree to serve the College for at least one year from the conclusion of the leave, unless waived by the president.