Goals and Main Features of New Learning Commons
The Learning Commons renovation project goes beyond necessary building upgrades to create a center for interdisciplinary study, collaboration, and creation. With many new features and offices working together, the building will become a gathering place for students, faculty, and staff.
Here are some of the project goals and major features:
- Create an inviting space where students, faculty and staff want to spend time.
- Incorporate views of the beautiful campus and surrounding countryside into the building.
- Design a building that will be more intuitive to navigate.
- Double the amount of seating and increase its variety to include traditional and newer types of seating and study spaces, including group study rooms.
- Library services and resources will remain in the building, with a new Information Literacy classroom, compact shelving for collections, and a new Circulation Desk and Research Help Desk.
- A newly unified Special Collections area will consist of the Gross Center for Holocaust & Genocide Studies, Ramapo College Archives, Jane Addams Papers Project, and the American History Textbook Project.
- The Center for Reading and Writing will remain in the Learning Commons.
- ITS will have a significant presence.
- Technology will be ubiquitous, including power outlets, wireless printing, printer/scanner rooms, and computers located throughout the building.
- Additional proposed new building components will include a cafe in the entrance and the Mindfulness at Ramapo College of New Jersey.