(PDF) (DOC) (JPG)April 14, 2011
(MAHWAH, NJ) – The Ramapo College Child Development Institute will host a daylong Understanding & Preventing Bullying conference on Monday, April 25. The Institute is housed in the College’s School of Social Science and Human Services.
The interdisciplinary event is designed for direct service providers in mental health and education. It will bring together educators, social workers, psychologists and other social service professionals who serve children in area communities. Ramapo faculty members will discuss current research in the topic, discuss developmental issues related to bullying, and present information about prevention and effective responses for parents and educators.
“Bullying is a major social concern that reverberates throughout society,” said Dean Samuel J. Rosenberg. “We at Ramapo College are committed to providing information and support to the larger community.”
The conference begins at 8:30 a.m. in the Trustees Pavilion. Sessions will include:
- Stomp Out Bullying in the Classroom, Asst. Professor of Teacher Education Julie Norflus-Good
- Kids of Criminals? How the Law Responds to Bullying, Asst. Professor of Social Work Kathryn Krase
- Language Acquisition and Learning Disabilities in Preschool and School-Aged Children, Assoc. Professor of Psychology Naseem Choudhury
- How Children Solve Problems Involving Physical Risk, Asst. Professor of Psychology Shaziela Ishak
- LGBTIQ: Gender Variance and Bullying, Assoc. Professor of Developmental Psychology Maya Poran and Asst. Professor of Social Science Robert Sproul
- Bullying, Harassment, and Educational Policy, Asst. Professor of Law and Society, Dominique Johnson
- Optimizing Development and Social Adjustment Through Parenting, Asst. Professor of Developmental Psychology Lysandra Perez-Strumolo
- Desert Journey and Hidden Griefs: Children Coping with Secondary Losses, Professor of Gerontology Kay Fowler
For a complete description of the conference and to reserve a seat, please visit: https://www.ramapo.edu/sshs/bully/.
Media inquiries may be directed to Anna Farneski at 201-684-6844 or at email@example.com
Ramapo College of New Jersey is the state’s premier public liberal arts college and is committed to academic excellence through interdisciplinary and experiential learning, and international and intercultural understanding. The College is ranked #1 among New Jersey public institutions by College Choice, has been named one of the 50 Most Beautiful College Campuses in America by CondeNast Traveler, and is recognized as a top college by U.S. News & World Report, Kiplinger’s, Princeton Review and Money magazine, among others. Ramapo College is also distinguished as a Career Development College of Distinction by CollegesofDistinction.com, boasts the best campus housing in New Jersey on Niche.com, and is designated a “Military Friendly College” in Victoria Media’s Guide to Military Friendly Schools.
Established in 1969, Ramapo College offers bachelor’s degrees in the arts, business, data science, humanities, social sciences and the sciences, as well as in professional studies, which include business, education, nursing and social work. In addition, the College offers courses leading to teacher certification at the elementary and secondary levels, and offers graduate programs leading to master’s degrees in Accounting, Business Administration, Creative Music Technology, Data Science, Educational Technology, Educational Leadership, Nursing, Social Work and Special Education, as well as a post-master’s Doctor of Nursing Practice.
Press Release Archives