Skip to Spanish Language Studies site navigationSkip to main content

Virtual Tour

Are you looking for exciting ways to practice your Spanish outside of the classroom?


Learn More AchievementsePortfolio 6File:Calendar-leapyeardate.jpg

Steps to Declaring a Major or Minor:

  1. Meet with an adviser from the Spanish Language Studies program, to start planning your courses. The most important thing you do as a first year student is to meet with an adviser from the Spanish Language Studies program to start planning your courses. We are happy to meet with you even if you are interested but not certain whether you want to major in Spanish. We can help you decide if this major is the right choice for you. As a first year student, you will be told to meet with the Center for Student Success. This can be a very helpful resource as well.
  2. View the Major/Minor Required Courses and review your recommended  4-Year PlanAlso, don’t forget to View some of our exciting New Course Offerings! Note when viewing your 4-Year Plan that this document is fairly generic and not very personalized. There is a good chance your circumstances may not fit the plan exactly, and that is completely fine. Whether this discrepancy be the result of coming into college with existing credits, testing into a higher-level course, or taking time off, a faculty adviser from the Spanish program will be happy to figure out a unique plan that will work for you!
  3. Submit the Major/Minor Declaration Form to the Registrar. 

Important Information Regarding Testing 

All majors in HGS must take a language requirement. Spanish majors or minors need not take extra coursework, because they are already working in a language. If you’re interested in a Spanish major or minor, and if you have no previous college credits, the placement test you should take is STAMP and earn credit for courses by taking the CLEP. For more detailed information about scheduling and cost (including online practice tests for the STAMP), please visit the Testing Webpage.

All majors in HGS are required to gain proficiency in a language other than English. As a Spanish major, you will not need to take extra coursework to fulfill this requirement. For more information about this, please see the HGS Language Requirement.

The Extended Experiential Learning Component

The Extended Experiential Learning Component is an exciting component of the Spanish Language Studies program that allows students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to real world travel or work experiences. It  can be fulfilled by completing a cooperative education (co-op) or internship, or by studying abroad.

  1. To learn more about how to complete a co-op or internship to fulfill this requirement, please see our Careers, Co-ops, and Internships page.
  2. To learn more about how this requirement can be fulfilled by studying abroad, please see our Study Abroad Page .
  3. Criteria for other work experiences that can fulfill this requirement include the following: Must work at least 15-20 hours/week. Must work in target language and/or directly with a Spanish speaking community.  Examples of such jobs include various community service-oriented projects, as well as student teaching, when performed in Spanish.

Learn How to Create your Own E-Portfolio Today

Learn about the importance of creating a professional ePortfolio and how create your own here!

Learn More About Teacher Certification

We are sorry, but this portion of the website is currently under construction. Please check back soon to see if it is up and running!