Skip to School of Humanities and Global Studies: Pathways Program site navigationSkip to main content

School of Humanities and Global Studies: Pathways Program

Heart Racing - Confidence Booster

At the beginning of October, two NBCUniversal representatives visited Ramapo College presenting a “Career Conversation” regarding internship and job opportunities. In a short time of two days, my interest to be part of NBCUniversal’s team (whether temporarily or permanently) quickly grew. After organizing a professional resume, researching NBCUniversal, and preparing for an interview, I attended the Career Conversation with an anxious, excited, and determined mindset.

The representatives presented a PowerPoint on NBCUniversal’s broadcasting and production industry. The focus on fields I was unfamiliar with concerned me, but did not deter my interest in working at NBCUniversal. My eagerness and curiosity allowed me ask questions such as, “What can someone with a writing background do for your company?” The representatives answered my questions with affirmations that although their department focuses on broadcasting and production, communication with other departments may result in openings for numerous writing opportunities. Throughout the presentation I was intrigued by NBCUniversal’s diverse environment, their welcoming environment for eager-to-learn college students, and the opportunities to grow within the company.

As the Career Conversation came to a close, the representatives welcomed anyone who would like to share their resume and discuss any opportunities to come forward. With my heart racing, smile large, and adrenaline pumping, I introduced myself and shared my resume with both representatives. “Can I have this copy? I will send this to a department looking for writers,” one representative said. Naturally, I wanted to jump up and down, scream and shout! I thanked each representative and followed up with both of them a few days later.

Almost a month later, another representative contacted me to meet for an interview. “Tomorrow,” the email stated. In spite of such a short notice, my eagerness and curiosity motivated me to accept the opportunity. The interview included a brief (yet thorough) explanation of an intern’s experience at NBCUniversal. As the interviewer expressed the importance for a detail oriented individual, I was asked to discuss a strength and weakness of mine. Well, what a perfect question, I thought to myself. Being detail oriented is both a strength and weakness of mine. As a writer, I am trained and prepared to pinpoint errors; thus, allowing me to submit my work at its best. On the other hand, my strength can also lie as a weakness. As a detail oriented individual, perfection becomes pertinent to work. That is to say, I could draft my work and come back to it later deleting everything and starting over again. Whether my response was fitting or not, I was honest and quick to answer the question. During the interview, I was exposed to NBCUniversal’s atmosphere, the interviewer gave me a tour around the building and explained any expectations for an internship position.

Finally, as my excitement for such an opportunity continued, I followed up with my interviewer expressing my gratitude for meeting with me. Unfortunately, the position was offered to another candidate. However, meeting with three of NBCUniversal’s representatives was an experience that allowed me to take advantage of an opportunity that came my way. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting with the representatives, being exposed to a diverse company, and learning from myself that rejection simply allows for one’s confidence to grow stronger.

– Krystin Bruno

Categories: Uncategorized