Skip to School of Humanities and Global Studies: Pathways Program site navigationSkip to main content

School of Humanities and Global Studies: Pathways Program

“This Experience Will Open Many Doors for Me”

Throughout my spring semester of ’17, I constantly applied to internships at least 2 or 3 times a week. By the time finals came around I had easily applied to about 90 different internships and only heard back from about a dozen of them. I spent more time sending follow-up emails than actual applying to the position. Funny enough, I declined all of the offers I received simply because it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t want to settle on an internship just because it was the ‘right’ thing to do. I knew what I was looking for and I was not going to give up until I felt it was a good fit.

Oddly enough, the next day after the spring semester ended I applied to this one particular internship through the Ramapo College Archway and heard back from them that same day. It was exactly what I was looking for and I am currently still with them. I currently work for Estro Communications in Westwood, NJ. It a small digital marketing business that primarily focuses on digital marketing, IT, and public relations. This opportunity looked as though it would give me the ideal experience I sought after for months, but the second I was officially hired, my nervousness ensued.

On my first day, I walked into their small office, which was in Clifton, New Jersey originally before they relocated, where I was already nervous and shaky. They presented me with work I had never seen before right off the bat. I remember being very nervous and asking questions about how the work should be done. In no time, they recognized the potential I had and they saw how much I loved everything I was doing. Estro Communications threw me into the line of digital marketing right away by conducting research about certain products that are available and how they target their market. Soon after I was working directly with the client and ensuring that I meet their needs in terms of social media marketing.

As the weeks passed by I became more of an expert with social media and learned even more about its functionality and impact. It was then where they offered me part-time employment with them. I accepted that offer and is one of the two jobs I am employed with. Currently, I am working on several different projects including other clients’ social media accounts, generating reports to deliver to my team, and conduct competitor analyses surrounding different types of businesses. This internship experience has been quite a journey, but extremely rewarding. The unexpected challenging work is what I believed would be useful in learning more about myself professionally and personally. Not only am I thankful for the chance they have given me thus far in terms of experience, but also believing in me and giving me a chance to work in this field since I am currently majoring in a different field. This experience will open new doors for me when I look for my next opportunity soon.  Just remember, getting comfortable in one position is a sign for you to challenge yourself and doing something else. I have learned to never settle for less and never give up applying to opportunities you truly want. Things will fall into place and you never know what experiences will help you get into different career fields.

– Nicky Vasquez

Categories: Uncategorized