Skip to Catalog 2019-2020 site navigationSkip to main content

Ramapo College undergraduate students may take graduate courses at Ramapo College.

A Ramapo College undergraduate student who wishes to take a Ramapo College graduate course must be a matriculated undergraduate student in good standing, must receive positive endorsement from his/her academic advisor, and must receive permission from the director of the graduate program that sponsors the course that he/she wishes to take. Granted that permission, the student will be considered a non-matriculated student in the graduate program but will pay undergraduate tuition and fees for the graduate course.  Under these conditions, an undergraduate student may take a maximum of TWO graduate courses (not to exeed 8 credits) during his/her undergraduate career.

Undergraduate students accepted into a 4+1 program Master’s program may, with the permission of the Graduate Program Director, take ONE additional graduate course, for a maximum of three total graduate courses (not to exceed 12 credits).  Students who have graduated from Ramapo College with an undergraduate degree and return to pursue a graduate degree will be charged graduate tuition rates.

The graduate course appears on both the graduate transcript and the undergraduate transcript with the same subject code, number, title, number of credits, and grade. In addition, the course requires graduate-level work.

As part of the undergraduate transcript, the course counts in the student’s undergraduate semester and cumulative GPAs, overall and (if applicable) major GPAs, and total number of credits attempted and earned. The course also affects the student’s undergraduate academic standing, applies towards undergraduate degree requirements (e.g., the required number of credits to graduate), and may satisfy specific course requirements in the major or the minor.

If the student graduates with the undergraduate degree and later matriculates in a Ramapo College graduate program, the student may also use those graduate courses, if applicable, to satisfy graduate degree requirements.


Back to Undergraduate Academic Policies