The Ramapo College Upward Bound Math Science Program is a Federal TRIO program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The grant assists low-income students from Paterson public high schools and those with parents who have not attained a bachelor’s degree.
The Ramapo College Upward Bound Math Science Program gives support to high school students with college potential. It is our goal to guide these students to successfully complete high school with the background and skills necessary to pursue post-secondary education in the areas of STEM – science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Saturday Sessions – students participate in science workshops to enhance and enrich their high school experience.
- Weekly tutoring sessions are provided by Certified Teachers at the high schools
- Students are visited by Upward Bound staff at their respective high schools weekly.
- SAT/ACT prep courses for students throughout the year.
- Annual field trip to visit college campuses and enriching attractions.
- Workshops on financial aid, college admissions procedures and other relevant topics provided to both parents and students. The Academic year workshops are taught by Ramapo College faculty and other professionals from the community.
- Participants spend six weeks during the summer living on the Ramapo College campus and taking specially designed courses in science, math, language arts, computer skills, foreign language, and problem solving skills.
- The summer courses are taught by certified high school teachers, and the curriculum is designed jointly by high school teachers and the Ramapo College math and science faculty.
- Afternoon and evenings are filled with study hall, cultural, and recreational activities.
Participants are expected to stay in the program from the time he or she is admitted until graduation from high school. This includes attending each summer session and all monthly Saturday sessions after acceptance.
Dr. Sandra Suarez, Director
Office: G-428, Phone: (201) 684- 7774, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elaine Rowin, Program Assistant
Office: G428, Phone: (201) 684 – 7841, Email: email@example.com
June Savianeso, Office Assistant
Office: G-428, Phone: (201) 684- 7851, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upward Bound Powerpoint Presentation (PDF)