(PDF) (DOC) (JPG)April 12, 2017
MAHWAH, N.J. – Ten students representing from Ramapo College Enactus (Entrepreneurial, Action, Us) recently participated in the Enactus United States Regional Competition in Washington, D.C., where they were named Regional Champions for their outstanding work with local organizations and positive impact on the community.
Ramapo’s team, under the guidance of Assistant Professor of Management Tammi Redd, offered an in-depth audiovisual presentation on the projects Enactus members undertook this academic year. They included:
- Oasis, a Paterson, N.J.-based safe haven for women and children. The students began a sewing program to teach unemployed women a new skill, with a long-term goal of helping the women find jobs in the textile industry.
- New City Kids, an after school program for underserved school children in Paterson, N.J. Ramapo students created Food Science Day to help children learn about nutrition.
- Bergen County Horse Rescue, home to 22 horses in Mahwah, N.J. Ramapo worked to increase awareness of the rescue facility through a marketing plan and a fundraiser “Trot into Spring” event.
Members of Ramapo College ENACTUS with their trophy for being named Regional Champions.
- Young Vision Africa, founded by a Ramapo international student from Sierra Leone, works to educate and empower individuals in the African nation. Ramapo students led a fundraising effort to help villagers in the cultivation and distribution of agricultural seed.
- Ramapo Readers, an organization on the College campus, dedicated to increasing literacy through book donations to local schools and community groups. Enactus helped in collection and distribution of donated books.
The regional win qualifies the Ramapo team for the Enactus United States National Competition, to be held in Kansas City, Missouri, in May. National winners are then eligible for the world competition later in the year.
Ramapo College of New Jersey is the state’s premier public liberal arts college and is committed to academic excellence through interdisciplinary and experiential learning, and international and intercultural understanding. The College is ranked #1 among New Jersey public institutions by College Choice, and is recognized as a top college by U.S. News & World Report, Kiplinger’s, Princeton Review and Money magazine, among others. Ramapo College is also distinguished as a Career Development College of Distinction by CollegesofDistinction.com, boasts the best campus housing in New Jersey on Niche.com, and is designated a “Military Friendly College” in Victoria Media’s Guide to Military Friendly Schools.
Established in 1969, Ramapo College offers bachelor’s degrees in the arts, business, humanities, social sciences and the sciences, as well as in professional studies, which include business, education, nursing and social work. In addition, the College offers courses leading to teacher certification at the elementary and secondary levels, and offers graduate programs leading to master’s degrees in Accounting, Business Administration, Educational Technology, Educational Leadership, Nursing, Social Work and Special Education.
Press Release Archives