Limited opportunities to enroll for course work on an Independent Study basis are available. A student interested in this option should obtain an Independent Study Registration Form from the Office of the Registrar, have it completed by the instructor and the Dean of the school sponsoring the Independent Study, and return it to the Office of the Registrar.
- Students may not enroll for more than FOUR (4) credits of Independent Study during any semester, including summer. Independent Study is not available during the winter semester.
- Normally, students may not exceed eight (8) credits of Independent Study over the course of a student’s career.
- Students on academic probation or academic warning are ineligible for Independent Study.
- Students may not take an Independent Study for a course that is offered within the regular schedule for that semester.
- The Dean of the school sponsoring the Independent Study may make exceptions to the four previous procedures.
- Students must complete a contract form for Independent Study as well as the Independent Study Registration Form. This form will indicate the purpose, objective, grading criteria, guidelines for hours of work required, discipline and level, and title/credits for the Independent Study.
- Independent Study registrations will not be accepted after the last day of add/drop as indicated on the academic calendar.
Back to Undergraduate Academic Policies