Associate Professor of Contemporary / Nonwestern Art History
Year Joined RCNJ: 2009
- B.A. Indiana University, Bloomington
- M.A., M. Phil., Ph.D. Columbia University, NY
- Introduction to Global Art Traditions
- History of Photography
- Africa and Cinema
- Africa and Photography
- Performance and Art
- Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts, Visiting Senior Fellow, Summer 2021.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art Fellow, Spring 2019.
- American Council of Learned Societies Fellow, September 2018-March 2019.
- Fulbright CIES Grant for research and teaching in South Africa, 2015.
- NEH Fellowship for research on photography in South Africa, 2014.
- Book: Art and the End of Apartheid (Minnesota, 2009).
- Book: (edited with Elisabeth Cameron), Portraiture and Photography in Africa (Indiana, 2013).
- Essay: “How Do We Look?” Kronos 46 (1) 2020.
- Essay: “Vernacular Recollections and Popular Photography in South Africa,” in Morton and Newbury, eds., The African Photographic Archive (Bloomsbury, 2015).
- Essay: “Remarks on South African Photography and the Extraphotographic,” Africultures 88 (Spring 2012).
Ramapo College of New Jersey recognizes the value of publishing on the Internet. The College does not preview, review, censor, or control the content of these pages in any way as a matter of course. This page and Web pages linked from this page are created by the authors, and do not in any way constitute official Ramapo College of New Jersey content.