Associate Professor of Contemporary / Nonwestern Art History
Year Joined RCNJ: 2009
- B.A. Indiana University, Bloomington
- M.A., M. Phil., Ph.D. Columbia University, NY
- 20th Century Histories and Concepts
- Introduction to African Art
- History of Photography
- Africa and Cinema
- Africa and Photography
- Performance and Art
Awards and Special Recognition:
- Fellow-in-residence, Clark Art Institute
- President, Arts Council of the African Studies Association
- Creative Capital/ Andy Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Award
- College Art Association Millard Meiss award
- African Studies Association Herskovits Book Award Finalist
Recent Scholarly and Professional Accomplishments:
- Books: Art and the End of Apartheid (University of Minnesota, 2009).
(co-edited with Elisabeth Cameron) Portraiture and Photography in Africa (Indiana University Press, 2013).
- Essays: “Snap of the Whip/Crossroads of Shame: Flogging, Photography, and the Representation of Atrocity in the Congo Reform Campaign,” Visual Anthropology Review 24, 1 (2008).
“Mandela Rides a Casspir” in Through African Eyes: The European in African Art, 1500 to Present ed. Nii O. Quarcoopome (Detroit Institute of Arts, 2010).
- Editor of the new peer-reviewed journal Critical Interventions: Journal of African Art History and Visual Culture (2007-2010)
Ramapo College of New Jersey recognizes the value of publishing on the Internet. The College does not preview, review, censor, or control the content of these pages in any way as a matter of course. This page and Web pages linked from this page are created by the authors, and do not in any way constitute official Ramapo College of New Jersey content.