Skip to Catalog 2018-2019 site navigationSkip to main content

Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Courses

Ramapo College undergraduate students may take graduate courses at Ramapo College.

A Ramapo College undergraduate student who wishes to take a Ramapo College graduate course must be a matriculated undergraduate student in good standing, must receive positive endorsement from his/her academic advisor, and must receive permission from the director of the graduate program that sponsors the course that he/she wishes to take. Granted that permission, the student will be considered a non-matriculated student in the graduate program but will pay undergraduate tuition and fees for the graduate course. The student may take a maximum of two graduate courses (i.e., a maximum of 8 credits) during his/her undergraduate career.

The graduate course appears on both the graduate transcript and the undergraduate transcript with the same subject code, number, title, number of credits, and grade. In addition, the course requires graduate-level work.

As part of the undergraduate transcript, the course counts in the student’s undergraduate semester and cumulative GPAs, overall and (if applicable) major GPAs, and total number of credits attempted and earned. The course also affects the student’s undergraduate academic standing, applies towards undergraduate degree requirements (e.g., the required number of credits to graduate), and may satisfy specific course requirements in the major or the minor.

If the student graduates with the undergraduate degree and later matriculates in a Ramapo College graduate program, the student may also use those graduate courses, if applicable, to satisfy graduate degree requirements. In other words, the graduate courses may double-count in both the undergraduate and the graduate degree programs.

Back to Undergraduate Academic Policies