College Catalog: 2011-2012
Salameno School of American and International Studies (SSAIS): Public Policy (B.A.)
- Wayne Hayes
Ramapo College offers a flexible, interdisciplinary sequence of courses, listed below, leading to a minor in Public Policy. The Public Policy minor has been designed to complement such majors as Political Science, Social Work, and Environmental Studies.
The added focus on Public Policy turns the student’s attention to problems and solutions in the world of public events. The Public Policy minor enhances effective citizenship and analytical rigor, giving the student a concrete focus on application of principles and methods generated by the major.
Full-time faculty and staff join with professional practitioners in staffing the Public Policy minor. The faculty teaching in this program come from several of the academic schools at Ramapo College: the School of American and International Studies, the Anisfield School of Business, and the School of Social Science and Human Service.
Students earning the Public Policy minor often go on to graduate work, either at the Masters of Ph.D. level in the field of Public Policy. Public administration careers are available to Public Policy minors. Federal, state, and local government employ professionals with a background in Public Policy.
- Students are required to take 6 courses (24 credits) to complete this minor.
- At least 1/2 of the courses fulfilling a minor must be distinct from the student’s major. That is, three of the five courses required for a minor cannot be used towards fulfillment of major requirements. A school core does not need to be completed for a minor. Minors are open to students regardless of school affiliation.
- Subject & Course # – Title & Course Description
- Required Courses:
- ENST 207 - PUBLIC POLICY
- POLI 107 - INTRODUCTION TO POLITICAL SCIENCE
- POLI 223 - AMERICAN GOVERNMENT
- Research Methods Course (select one of the following):
- BADM 225 - MANAGEMENT STATISTICS
- PSYC 242 - STATISTICS
- SOCI 308 - SOCIAL STATISTICS WITH COMPUTERS
- Choose one Process Courses such as:
- ENST 326 - ENVIRONMENTAL LAW
- LAWS 121 - INTRODUCTION TO LAW AND JUSTICE
- LAWS 131 - INTRODUCTION TO LAW AND SOCIETY
- MGMT 302 - MANAGING ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR
- POLI 321 - THE UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT
- Choose one Content Area Courses such as:
- ENST 223 - ENERGY AND SOCIETY
- GEOG 303 - WATER RESOURCES
- IBUS 326 - FUNDAMENTALS OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
- POLI 328 - LAW AND POLITICS OF THE INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENT
- An internship is recommended but is optional.