- The Public Safety Department Policies and Practices Campus Crime & Fire Statistics – 2015 (PDF)
- 21+ Identification Card Instructions and Application Form (PDF)
- Complaint Form
- The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crimes Statistics Act
Reported crimes may involve individuals not associated with the institution
The Public Safety Department is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Its 32 employees utilize foot and vehicle patrols to observe and report situations or activities which may pose a danger to persons or property.
PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICERS ARE UNARMED AND DO NOT HAVE POLICE POWERS.
Public Safety Officers respond to all complaints as promptly as possible and, if the Officer or complainant requires local police assistance, Public Safety notifies the Mahwah Police Department. (There is a direct hotline to the Mahwah Police Department in the Public Safety Office.) Public Safety Officers have received First Aid and CPR training in addition to instruction in campus public safety procedures. The College enjoys an excellent working relationship with the Mahwah Police Department. Response to requests for assistance is very prompt.
Public Safety Contact Information
Office: Ground floor, C-Wing, C-102
Phone: (201) 684-7432/33
IMPORTANT TELEPHONE NUMBERS
- Campus Public Safety Emergency: (201) 684-6666
- Non-Emergency Calls: (201) 684-7432/33
- TDD: (201) 684-7011
- School Closing: (201) 236-2902
- Police/Fire: 9-911
Ramapo College Numbers
- Student Affairs: 201-684-7457
- Director of Public Safety: 201-684-7789
- Center for Health and Counseling Services- Counseling Services: 201-684-7522
- Health Services: 201-684-7536
- Residence Life: 201-684-7461
- Human Resources: 201-684-7498
- Women’s Center: 201-684-7468
- Emergency Information Line and College Closing Announcements: 201-236-2902
- Assault Contact Team (A.C.T.): 201-684-7222
- Police or fire (emergency only): 9-911
- Mahwah Police Department (non-emergency): (201) 529-1000
- Bergen County Victim Witness Unit: (201) 646-2057
- Bergen County Rape Crisis Center Hotline: (201) 487-2227
- Alternatives To Domestic Violence (a Div. of the Bergen County Department of Human Svs.): (201) 336-7575
- Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office: (201) 646-2300
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times; pay attention to what other people are doing.
- Always lock your room and vehicle. Keep valuables out of sight.
- Know that excessive alcohol consumption decreases your personal safety because your judgments are impaired. Do not compromise your own security.
- Utilize the campus shuttle at night.
- Do not use shortcuts through the woods; stay on the lighted paths. Walk with a friend or in a group.
- Look out for one another at all times.
- If you are a campus resident, leave your valuables at home. If you must bring some valuable items, e.g., computers, televisions, etc., you are strongly encouraged to take them home during school breaks.
- Vacate all buildings immediately when a fire alarm sounds.
- Recognize that crimes on any college campus are committed both by members of the college community itself and by outsiders.
- Make prudent judgments in all your interactions with others and report suspicious persons or activities.
Ramapo College students are required to possess and carry on her/his person (at all times) a current, validated, college-issued photo ID card. Identification cards can be processed and validated in the Public Safety Identification Room, (C-101), Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm.
ID cards are to be validated each term of enrollment and are necessary for access to College facilities, library use, the Bradley Center, entrance to student restaurants (meal plan dining), and must be produced upon the request of appropriate college officials. A replacement fee is charged when an ID card has been lost or mutilated. The Department of Public Safety offers an “Over 21 ID.” Additional information concerning Over 21 ID cards is available here.