George T. Potter Library
Title: Technical Services Assistant
Date: Revised May 2014
Under the supervision of the Technical Services Librarian and/or Technical Library Assistant, performs technical and clerical tasks related to the Technical Services department including maintenance of the catalog and physical processing of materials; does other related work as assigned.
- Process new materials in a timely manner, including but not limited to:
- review OCLC/MARC printouts for processing directions
- accurately type and print spine and pocket labels,
- affix all labels in the correct position,
- correct processing for Oversize, Reference, etc. (as noted)
- accession date stamp in the correct place,
- property stamp in the correct position,
- covers books as noted (book jackets or laminate)
- proper placement of security strips
- reprocesses books as requested
- searching the shelves for materials based on specific criteria,
- updating ebook holdings,
- record maintenance based on specific parameters
- maintain list of items sent to Better World Books
Must be enrolled full time at Ramapo College of NJ.
Prior library work experience a plus.
- Ability to work independently and/or with direct supervision on assigned tasks and willingness to learn new tasks
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification system a plus.
- Attention to detail, precision skills in handling scissors, exacto knife, box cutter, and/or additional tools when processing materials and maintaining integrity of those materials
- Dependability and strong work ethic, reliability for a minimum of 90% attendance
- Ability to understand and enforce library policies
- Able to spend long periods standing, walking, and doing moderate lifting
- Good computer skills, especially in MS Word & Excel
- Office, filing, and organizational skills