George T. Potter Library
Title: Shelving Assistant
Date: Revised May 17, 2014
Under the supervision of Stacks Maintenance Supervisor, performs library work related to shelving and stack maintenance; does other work as assigned.
- Shelves books according to the Library of Congress Classification System.
- Shelf reads stacks to ensure that books, periodicals, and videos are in correct Library of Congress Classification System order.
- Picks up books on tables, straightens chairs, and turns in patrons’ misplaced personal belongings to Circulation Desk.
- Processes and shelves new periodicals. Re-shelves periodicals that have been accessed by patrons.
- Maintains accurate records of the number of books shelved and areas shelf read for every shift.
- Straightens untidy shelves.
- Assists permanent staff in measuring the linear feet of library material and the amount of shelving available in order to assess the needs of collection growth.
- Shifts books to make room for collection growth when required.
- Answer basic directional questions for Library patrons.
- Assists in finding lost or misplaced books.
- Enforces library policies regarding noise, food, and cellphone use.
- Assists Library patrons with disabilities as directed by permanent staff members.
- Participates in library inventories as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be enrolled at Ramapo College of NJ.
- Prior library work experience a plus.
- Knowledge of Library of Congress system helpful.
- Good organization and time management skills.
- Can be relied on to work independently.
- Pays attention to detail.
- Able to spend long periods standing, walking, and doing moderate lifting.
- Must possess positive attitude, enthusiasm, and desire for helping people.