George T. Potter Library
Title: Computer (ELF) Lab Assistant
Date: Revised May 2014
Under the supervision of Circulation Supervisors and Systems Administrator, oversees the library’s computer lab and provides technical assistance to students, faculty, and other library patrons.
- Assists patrons with the use of library databases, e-reserves, internet, email, Moodle, and other software applications.
- Enforces lab policies; monitors/prevents the consumption of food and drink, as well as the use of cell phones.
- Keeps ELF cabinet stocked with printer paper.
- Identify and report malfunctioning equipment to Library Systems Administrator.
- Provides printer maintenance including toner installation, printer troubleshooting, printer settings adjustment, paper jam removals, toner cartridge installation and reloading paper trays, etc.
- Implements ELF opening and closing procedures as necessary.
- Monitors student activities in the computer lab for the purpose of maintaining a safe environment that is conducive to learning.
- Performs routine and preventive maintenance of computer lab equipment.
- Ensures that digital information storage devices (USB drives, CDs, DVDs, etc.), documents, identification or personal property left behind by patrons are submitted to Circulation Staff.
- Performs basic hardware and software computer troubleshooting and networking issues.
- Assists patrons in printing jobs and use of Print Release station; deletes print jobs in the network print queue as necessary.
- Assists new students with creating Ramapo College email accounts and resetting passwords.
- Maintains a log of paper consumption and toner replacement.
- Answers questions regarding ELF hours, policies, etc.
- Keeps computer lab neat and clean.
- Performs additional duties, including but not limited to special projects, as assigned.
Must be enrolled at Ramapo College of NJ.
- Experience with MS-Office products, Windows operating system basics, some knowledge of PC hardware preferred.
- Prior library work experience a plus.
- Strong customer service experience and communication skills.
- Must be dependable and have ability to interact with lab users.
- Must be able to enforce lab policies.
- Able to work independently with limited to minimum supervision and be willing to learn new tasks.
- Must have strong work ethic and reliable attendance.
- Pays attention to detail.
- Must possess positive attitude, enthusiasm, and desire for helping people.