George T. Potter Library
Title: Circulation Assistant
Date: Revised May 2014
Under the supervision of Circulation Supervisors, performs technical Circulation functions and provides excellent customer service to students, faculty and other library patrons.
- Provides frontline Circulation services to library patrons.
- Uses the automated Integrated Library System, KOHA to check out, check in, and renew library materials.
- Articulates and interprets Circulation policies and procedures to patrons.
- Enforces library policies including no food and use of cell phones in the library.
- Creates accounts for community borrowers, alumni, etc. in Koha including adding patron information and providing them with borrower’s card. Assigns barcodes as necessary.
- Assists patrons in accessing the online library catalog, Course Reserves, and databases.
- Informs patrons of account issues such as overdue items, fines and missing/lost materials.
- Identifies and retrieves materials from the Reserves Collection for library patrons and reshelves them when returned.
- Assists patrons in using the copy card machines and photocopiers.
- Answers Circulation Desk telephone as necessary and gives basic information or directs the question to appropriate staff or librarian.
- Assists staff in opening and closing the library if working during the first or last shifts.
- Maintains photocopiers/printers including adding paper, clearing paper jams, changing toner, etc.
- Responds to directional and information inquiries and refers patrons to Reference Librarians as needed.
- Assists faculty in filling out reserve request forms and submits all such requests to the Course Reserves Coordinator for processing.
- Performs initial search for missing materials and forwards results to Circulation Supervisor.
- Shelf-reads Reserves Collection to ensure materials are shelved in correct call number order according to the Library of Congress system of classification.
- Provides assistance to students and faculty with accessing documents in the Library Archives and American History Textbook Project.
- Retrieves books and periodicals from the general circulating stacks, as assigned.
- Keeps appropriate statistics of library users.
- Checks exterior library book drop.
- Photocopies articles for Interlibrary Loan and Course Reserves as assigned.
- Reserves Audio-visual materials for faculty/staff for classroom screenings.
- Schedules and manages reservations for library study rooms.
- Participates in library inventories as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be enrolled at Ramapo College of NJ.
- Prior library or customer service work experience a plus.
- Willingness and ability to work an established schedule.
- Ability to use computers and library system, Koha.
- Strong customer service experience and communication skills.
- Must have strong work ethic and have reliable attendance.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and willingness to learn new tasks.
- Must be dependable and have ability to interact with library users.
- Adheres to confidentiality of patron records.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Library of Congress (LC) system a plus.
- Must possess positive attitude, enthusiasm, and desire for helping people.
- Physical ability to stand, bend and lift books.
- Ability to move loaded book carts.