Ramapo Logo Online Catalog<
top navigation bar
Menu Item: Catalog Home
Menu Item: Academics
Menu Item: General Resources
Menu Item: Student Resources
Back to Top Link
[ online catalog | academics | academic policies | grading systems / policies | student appeals regarding grades ]
Grading Systems / Policies

Grading Systems / Policies
Student Appeals Regarding Grades
Academic Standing
Academic Integrity
Reporting Violations
Adjudication Process

Student Appeals Regarding Grading

The faculty of the College establishes course requirements and performance standards. Faculty evaluation of students’ academic performance is a qualitative judgment and is expressed through the submission of final course grades to the Registrar at the close of each semester.

In those instances where a student wishes to appeal a course grade, the student should take the following steps:
No later than the semester following the one in which a grade is received, a student must bring his or her appeal to the attention of the faculty member. Both should make good faith efforts to share viewpoints and mediate differences of opinion.

If it is mutually agreed that a grade readjustment is warranted, the faculty member forwards a Change of Grade Request, including explanatory reasons, to the director of the academic unit which sponsored the course.
If a student and faculty member cannot reach a mutual agreement and a student wishes to pursue a grade appeal, the student must present a written appeal, including pertinent course materials or course work, to the dean of the academic unit which sponsored the course in question.

The dean will confer with the student and faculty member, jointly or independently, as he or she sees fit, review pertinent documents and course materials, and confer with other faculty or administrative staff members as appropriate.

If it is mutually agreed that a grade change is warranted, the dean will forward a faculty-endorsed Change of Grade Request with explanatory reasons, to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

If the dean renders an opinion which does not support the student’s grade appeal, the student may request the dean to make his or her judgment available in writing.

If a student feels his or her appeal has not been satisfactorily resolved at the unit level, a written grade appeal must be forwarded to the Office of the Provost. The Provost or his/her designee will consider only those grade appeals which have previously received full deliberative discussion at the faculty and dean level.

After conferring with the student and faculty member and reviewing the pertinent documentation, the Provost or his/her designee may take one of the two following actions:

(a) approve or decline the student's grade appeal: or

(b) request that the Committee on Academic Standards and Procedures review the appeal and render a recommendation to the Provost or his/her designee who, in turn, will advise the student of his/her final recommendation.

In both step (a) and (b), the recommendation of the Provost or his/her designee is final.
Arch IconLink to Feedback Page
footer navigation bar
Home / About Ramapo / Academics / Admissions / Athletics / Alumni/Foundation
Berrie Center / Faculty/Staff / Library / Maps/Directions / News/Events / Parents / Student Life
Search College Site - Search for Faculty/Staff - Telephone Directory - A-Z Site Map
Ramapo College of New Jersey • 505 Ramapo Valley Road • Mahwah, NJ 07430 • 201-684-7500
Copyright 2013 Ramapo College of New Jersey.
Statements and Policies. Webmaster.
Add Ramapo RSS Feeds Button: RSS Feed Link