Charge of the 2021 Presidential Search Committee
The significance of a search for a College President cannot be overstated. The Association of Governing Boards (AGB) emphasizes that the skills and expertise required of a college president have shifted in recent decades. Today, the position requires individuals who can function as a manager, an academic leader, a politician, and a fundraiser. AGB advises that a successful leader will need to be an anticipatory thinker who can tolerate risk and encourage creativity, an effective convener, broker, and facilitator who is courageous and resilient in decision making. Ramapo’s next President must be energetic and innovative and must have a deep understanding of the transformative power of a liberal arts education and the current and future contexts within which public colleges function.
The search firm will be selected by the Board of Trustees. The role of the search firm is to follow the Search Committee’s lead and to arrive at a position profile and diverse pool that meets Ramapo’s current needs as well as its aspirations.
The roles of the Search Committee members are not to serve as advocates for their perceived representative groups but rather to act in the best interests of the College as a whole. The deliberations of the Search Committee must be confidential out of respect to the process and the candidates. The Search Committee will recommend final candidates to the Board of Trustees. Final candidates will present to the campus and various groups/audiences will be encouraged at that time to share input with the Search Committee. The Board of Trustees will make the final decision.
Expectations of Committee Members
Committee members are asked to sign a Statement of Understanding which, in pertinent part, notes:
The following eight principles outline the expectations of the Board of Trustees (“Board”) with respect to the search process and the role and authority of the 2021 Presidential Search Committee (“Search Committee” or “Committee”) and its members:
1. The Search Committee will conduct an active national search to attract a diverse group of highly qualified candidates and none of its members will be a candidate for the position.
2. Search Committee members are expected to commit a significant amount of time and energy to the search process. Members shall promote the visibility of the opportunity among their professional networks, attend Committee meetings and candidate interviews, review all candidate application materials, and assist with campus visits and forums as needed.
3. Search Committee members are not to serve as advocates for their perceived representative groups but rather to act in the best interests of the College as a whole.
4. Search Committee members will observe strict confidentiality with respect to the process, the candidates, and the Committee’s internal deliberations. Any member of the Search Committee who breaches confidentiality will be removed from the Committee without replacement.
5. Search Committee members will identify and participate in preliminary interviews with semifinalists and, following preliminary interviews, identify candidates to be invited as finalists.
6. Search Committee members will collaborate to issue periodic reports, within the bounds of confidentiality, to members of Ramapo College and the Board about the progress of the search.
7. The Search Committee will provide the Board with a report outlining strengths and concerns for each of the finalists interviewed. The finalists shall not be ranked.
8. The selection of the President will be at the sole discretion of the Board pursuant to its statutory powers and duties.
My signature below represents that I understand and agree to the terms of this Statement of Understanding and the 2021 Presidential Search Committee Charge, a copy of which I have received and reviewed. Further, I recognize that my failure to adhere to any of the eight principles described above may result in the discontinuation of my service, without replacement, on the Search Committee.