Skip to Parents / Families site navigationSkip to main content


What to Bring

Each campus residence is furnished. Students should not plan to bring additional items until they see how things look after they move in. No upholstered furniture may be brought to campus unless it meets CAL133 fire safety guidelines (tag must be attached or certificate provided to the Graduate Residence Director/Residence Director).

Dress – as on most campuses – is casual. There is no specific dress code, but reasonableness is expected. There are occasions when business/party attire is needed, e.g., job interviews, restaurant nights in dining halls, special events in the Berrie Center, and trips to NYC.

Various meal plans are available. Students residing in Pine, Laurel, Bischoff Hall, Mackin Hall or The Overlook Halls are required to have a meal plan. Additional information about meal plans is available from the Dining Services Office located in the Roadrunner Café or from the Office of Residence Life. In addition to meal plan restaurants, food is available in Roadrunner Café in the Student Center; the Curtain Call Café (gourmet coffee, sandwiches and snacks) in the Berrie Center; and the convenience store in the Pavilion.

All Residents:

  • Bed linens (all residence halls have extra long twin beds except for Tamarack and Sycamore that is located in the College Park Apartments and several rooms in Pine Hall. Please contact these areas via email regarding your bed size if you are assigned there.)
  • Hand truck/ dolly for moving your belongs
  • Toilet paper
  • Pillows and back rest (for reading in bed)
  • Warm blanket or comforter
  • Egg crate, bed pad (makes bed more comfortable)
  • Towels
  • One bathroom rug
  • Camera (inexpensive one)
  • Small television (cable ready)
  • Hair dryer
  • Posters for walls – use only painter’s tape to hang posters on walls. The use of nails to hang anything is prohibited. Although painter’s  tape works, it still needs to be removed very carefully or it will create damage. Damages from nail holes, tape residue, or damaged paint are charged to student’s account
  • Toiletries, including small carryall for storage
  • Stereo/radio/CD/MP3 player with headphones
  • Laundry basket or bag, detergent and softener, (put powder in small plastic bags for convenience)
  • Alarm clock/clock radio with battery backup
  • Magnetic memo board
  • Cleaning supplies (especially for bathrooms & kitchens)
  • Clothing (including warm sweaters, jacket, and business and party clothes)
  • School supplies (may be purchased at the Campus Store – open on orientation and move-in days)
  • Small lockable storage chest (may be found in bed and bath stores)
  • Bathing suit
  • Large wastebaskets & disposable plastic liners
  • Storage crates (small and stackable)
  • Desk items (stamps, envelopes, stapler, printer paper, etc.)
  • Address book with important phone numbers and e-mail addresses
  • Iron with automatic shutoff capability and portable ironing pad
  • Prescription medications if needed
  • Pre-paid phone card for non local calls or cell phone
  • Extra set of car keys
  • Clothes hangers
  • Small sewing kit
  • Small medical kit (pain reliever, antacid, bandaids, etc.)
  • Medical insurance card
  • ATM card (college ATM is serviced by TD Bank)
  • Credit card or checks for major Campus Store purchases (textbooks, supplies, etc.)
  • Computer (most students bring laptops) and printer & at least two packages of printer paper
  • Cable cord for TV
  • Appointment book or PDA
  • Surge protector – UL rated power strip ONLY
  • Backpack or other bag to carry books.
  • Small amount of cash for snacks and sundries
  • Push pins for tack boards (Pine, Bischoff, Mackin, Village, Overlook, Laurel)
  • Flashlight (candles and incense are prohibited)
  • Small snow shovel and deicer (if you have a car)
  • Auto club membership and local area maps
  • Ethernet cord (for non-wireless internet connections)
  • Renter’s insurance for your personal belongings
  • Patience and good humor, a sense of adventure, focus on personal goals, commitment to making the most of your time in college, an open mind.

For up-to-date information about what to bring, visit the Residence Life website.

Campus Services FAQ
Computer Services
  • What types of computer services are available at the college?
    Information Technology Services (ITS) provides academic computing, administrative information systems, and telecommunications services to faculty, staff, and students. The 24-hour computer labs are equipped with hundreds of computers plus the full gamut of scanners, printers, CD-ROM’s and digital equipment. All labs, classrooms, and local area network facilities are linked to a campus-wide network for Internet access.
  • The Library supports the College curriculum with materials in all subject areas through its collections. Students have access to approximately 175,000 print books and over 2000 e-books. More than 80 databases are available both on and off campus. The Library has 5,000 DVDs and 100+ streaming videos. Other collections include more than 100,000 online U.S. government documents and NJ documents in print. The Library is open seven days per week during the academic year, and offers extended hours during final exam periods.
  • There is a computer lab for student use and an Information Literacy Classroom where research skills are taught by librarians. Students may borrow laptops, and WI-FI exists throughout the building. Reference librarians assist students in designing research strategies and locating and using library materials. Students can visit, call, or email the reference desk or chat with librarians in real-time. The library website provides access to our databases, the online catalog, library hours, and more. Visit us on Facebook to stay up-to-date with library news and read/post comments.
  • Location: L-Building, (201) 684-7575 (main), (201 684-7574 (reference desk)
    First Floor: Books A-P, Quiet Study Area
    Second Floor: Information Literacy classroom, Periodicals Collection, Center for Reading and Writing
    Third Floor: Reference Services and Collection, Circulation/Reserves Desk, Computer Lab, Reading Lounge, Gross Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies
    Atrium with seating area, vending machines and campus phone
    Fourth Floor: Books Q-Z, oversize books NJ Government Documents, College Archives
Student Job Opportunities
  • Does the college provide resources for employment?
    The Cahill Career Development Center offers a full array of services and programs to enhance students’ academic, personal, and professional goals while preparing them for the transition from college to career. An emphasis is placed upon lifelong learning with a “Four Year Career Development Plan” available to guide students through their four undergraduate years. The Cahill Center offers individual career advisement by major, weekly skills workshops, employer and alumni networking events, Career Fairs targeted by industry, and FOCUS II -a comprehensive career development program.  The Handshake – Ramapo’s Job Bank offers job listings (full-time, part-time, internship, entry- level, and temporary positions) exclusively for Ramapo students and alumni. The Cahill Center partners with over 500 corporate and nonprofit employers who provide opportunities for both undergraduates and graduates.
Academics FAQ
Student Advisement
  • Who is my advisor?
    Academic Advisors For First-Year and Undeclared Students First-year students and undeclared students are assigned to Professional Advisors in the Center for Student Success(D-207, 201-684-7441). [The only exceptions are Nursing students, First-Year Students in the AIS FYS classes, and EOF.]Academic Advisors for Declared Students: Second-Year (Sophomore), Junior and Senior Declared students with over 32 credits are assigned to faculty advisors in their majors. Students can find the name of their faculty advisor on the bottom of their printed degree evaluation.
  • How do I make an Advisement Appointment?
    First-year students and undeclared students contact the Center for Student Success(D-207, 201-684-7441) to make an appointment. Declared students with over 32 credits contact their faculty advisor directly. Each School posts student names and Faculty Advisor contact information on the bulletin board outside the School Office.  For more information contact each school as follows: ASB- Office: ASB333, Phone: 201-684-7378; AIS- Office: B213, Phone: 201-684-7406; CA- Office: BC237, Phone: 201-684-7365; SSHS- Office: B213, Phone: (201) 684-7625; TAS- Office: G326, Phone: 201-684-7748.

Grades and Academic Difficulty

  • What is CUM, GPA, QPT or QHR?
    A GPA is a student Grade Point Average. It is calculated by dividing the QPTS (or Quality Points) by the QHR (or Quality Hours). Quality Hours include “F”s but not “W”s. Quality Points derive from the student grade multiplied by the credits. For example, a student received a “B,” a 3.0, in a 4-credit class. The Quality Points for that class would be 12. The Quality Hours would be 4. Therefore, the GPA for that course would be a 3.0. A student with a “B-” is a 2.7. A “B+” is a 3.3, etc. Luckily, the college transcript computes the student Quality Points each semester, then divides that by the semester’s Quality Hours to get the student semester’s GPA The CUM, or Cumulative GPA, simply is the GPA for the students entire career at Ramapo.
Student Services FAQ
Educational Opportunity Fund
  • What is the EOF?
    The Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) started in 1968 at 34 colleges and universities across the state of New Jersey. Its purpose was to provide services and support to New Jersey students who, while lacking financial resources and academic preparation, could demonstrate promise, a high level of motivation and ability, and the potential to succeed in college. Thirty years later the program provides financial aid grants, specialized services, skill instruction, counseling and advisement, tutorial services, and career preparation.
Health and Counseling
  • Counseling Services addresses the psychological needs of students through educational, therapeutic, and preventative services.  Counseling Services provides free and confidential services to students including time limited individual counseling, crisis intervention and psychiatric services.  Counseling Services also provides outreach presentations on topics such as; alcohol/substance abuse, depression, anxiety, and time management to student groups, clubs, and organizations.  The Counseling Services staff members are available after hours and on weekends to handle psychological emergencies.  The after-hours crisis service may be contacted via The Department of Public Safety at (201) 684-6666 (please ask to speak to an Emergency On-Call Counselor).
  • The primary role of the Health Services staff is to keep students healthy, so that they can fully participate in the Ramapo College experience. The main goals of this unit are to educate students regarding responsible health behaviors; to provide treatment and symptom relief of their illnesses; and to teach health measures to prevent the spread of disease to others. Health Services staff provides diagnostic and primary health care for a wide variety of illnesses. A self-treatment center for minor illnesses and injuries is also available for student use.
Specialized Services
  • What can a student with a documented disability expect at the college?
    Ramapo College of New Jersey demonstrated a strong commitment to providing equal access to all students through the removal of architectural and attitudinal barriers. Integration of qualified students with disabilities into the college community has been the Ramapo way since the College opened in 1971. To accomplish this goal, the Office of Specialized Services (OSS) was established to facilitate equal access to the programs and activities at Ramapo College for students with documented physical, sensory, learning, or psychological disabilities. Ramapo College fully supports the protections available to students with disabilities under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act..
Housing Options
  • What housing options are available?
    Traditional residence halls, including Pine, Bischoff Hall, Mackin Hall, Overlook, and Laurel, and    garden-style apartments, including College Park Apartments and the Village, provide housing for approximately 90% of students. Freshman housing includes Pine Hall and Mackin Hall. Bischoff Hall is reserved for first-year scholars and new incoming transfer students. The Overlook, College Park Apartments, Laurel Hall, and The Village typically house sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Pine Hall (6 or 7 person), Overlook (4 person), and Laurel Hall (4 person) are suite-style living with multiple bedrooms and a shared bathroom. Mackin Hall (3 person) and Bischoff Hall (2 person) are single bedroom residence halls with a bathroom within each room. The College Park Apartments (4 person) and The Village (4 person) are apartment-style living with multiple bedrooms, a full kitchen, a living room, and a shared bathroom. All residence halls and apartment complexes are air conditioned and have microwave/refrigerators in each bedroom. There are also floor lounges for studying, recreation, and television, plus vending, laundry, and personal mailboxes in each building. Voice (telephone with voicemail), video (cable television), and data access (Internet and intranet) are provided for every resident.
Student Life
  • What type of clubs and organizations are popular at the college?
    At Ramapo College, student clubs and organizations are recognized as an important part of the total learning experience. Students are urged to take advantage of the many opportunities available through membership and participation in these groups. There are over 100 clubs and organizations; addressing the academic, cultural, political, spiritual, and social needs and interests of the diverse Ramapo community.  Joining can provide students with interesting friends, new experiences, and lifelong memories of their college years. Many of these groups also provide members with opportunities to network with faculty, staff, and professionals in their field of interest.  Clubs and organizations at Ramapo College are run by students. They organize to meet the expressed needs of students. Each group operates under its own constitution, according to the interests and enthusiasm of its membership.  All welcome new members, new ideas, and new directions.
  • What types of sports do you have at the college?
    Athletics at Ramapo College are an extracurricular activity and secondary to any student’s college education. Ramapo offers a two-tiered sports program: intercollegiate and intramural. Athletics at Ramapo reflect the college objectives and are a means to attain educational goals. The intercollegiate program offers the most advanced level of competition. On the varsity level, Ramapo is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and subscribes to the Division III philosophy. Ramapo belongs to the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC). Varsity sports are for those students willing to commit themselves to a program that encourages both individual and team excellence through daily practice sessions and a full season of competition. Sports at the varsity level are most competitive and include: MEN: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Tennis, Swimming, Indoor and Outdoor Track, and Volleyball. WOMEN: Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Indoor and Outdoor Track, and Volleyball. The Athletic Department also offers Cheerleading and Dance as competitive club. Students interested in team sports at a less advanced level may turn to an extensive intramural program. Intramurals offer any students the chance to play on a team without the time demand of intercollegiate athletics. All students enrolled at Ramapo are eligible for the intramural program, which include flag football, softball, ultimate frisbee, basketball, volleyball, indoor and outdoor soccer, yoga, zumba, kickboxing, spinning, cardio sculpt.
Admissions FAQ (Details)

What factors impact admission to Ramapo College?
Admission to Ramapo College is based on several factors.  There are no minimum cut offs in any category.  Applicants should be pursuing a college preparatory curriculum that is individually challenging.  AP, IB and Honors courses are looked upon favorably.

What high school courses are required for freshmen applicants?
Freshmen applicants are required to have at least the following 18 academic units:

  • English – 4 units
  • Social Studies – 3 units
  • Algebra I – 1 unit
  • Geometry – 1 unit
  • Algebra II – 1 unit
  • Foreign Language – 2 units
  • Science – 3 units (2 units of lab science)
  • Academic Electives – 3 units

What should my SAT score be?
Standardized test scores are required.  Official SAT and/or ACT scores must be sent directly from the test agency.  Students admitted to Ramapo typically rank in the top 20% of their graduating class with a middle 50% range of critical reading and math SAT scores of 1080-1280 or an ACT composite of 26.

What other factors are involved in the selection process?
Successful applicants also demonstrate a record of extracurricular activities that reflect maturity and responsibility and demonstrate the ability to be successful in college.

For up-to-date Admissions information, please visit our website

Financial Aid FAQ

How do I apply for Financial Aid at Ramapo College?
To apply for Financial Aid complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid using Ramapo College’s code (009344).  No other forms are required. . You may apply for Financial Aid after October 1st of each year, and preferably before March 1st of each year.

How does one qualify for aid?
To qualify for aid the information you report when you complete the FAFSA is used in a formula established by the U.S. Congress that determines expected family contribution (EFC).  The EFC is used to determine whether you are eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant and also may be used to determine other types of aid.

How do I qualify for New Jersey State Aid?
Eligibility for New Jersey State aid, including The NJ TAG program for needy students, is defined by the state’s own eligibility calculation.  Students must also be registered for at least 12 credits to be eligible. There are filing deadlines for New Jersey State aid.   For first-time FAFSA filers, it is October 1 for the current academic year.  For continuing students, it is June 1 prior to the start of the Fall semester.

How do I apply for New Jersey State Aid?
Application for New Jersey State aid automatically occurs when you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid using Ramapo College’s code (009344), and when you complete additional questions required by then New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA).  These additional questions can be accessed directly from the FAFSA by selecting “optional feature” or by visiting the HESAA website at and linking to “Report Additional Information for State Aid.”

What types of aid are available?
Financial aid available at Ramapo consists of grants, loans and work- study.  Grants are awards that don’t have to be paid back, loans must be paid back and work-study provides students with a chance to earn money at a job on or off campus.

What loans are available?
The major Federal loan program is the Stafford Loan.  Freshmen can borrow up to $5,500, sophomores $6,500 and juniors and seniors $7,500.  There are two types of Stafford loans-a subsidized loan based on need and an unsubsidized loan that is not need-based.  Alternative loans from private lenders are also available

Are scholarships available?
Ramapo College offers a number of scholarships for incoming freshmen based on academic achievement.  All freshmen applicants are reviewed for scholarship eligibility. There are literally scores of scholarships available from various private sources.  Books and websites dedicated to aiding students are good sources of information.

For up-to-date Financial Aid information, please visit our website

Student Discipline Process FAQ

What are my rights in the discipline process?
Your rights are outlined in the Code of Conduct, Section J, “Rights in all Disciplinary Proceedings” found in the Student Handbook available online on the Office of Student Conduct website.

How do you make your decision about if I violated a College policy?
A Standard of Evidence is the measuring stick by which we make a decision. Ramapo College uses Preponderance of Evidence in order to find a student in violation of policy. The student is not responsible for violating policies unless proven otherwise; however, unlike a court of law, the standard of evidence which must be met in order to prove that a student violated policy is less stringent. If you imagine weighing the evidence on some imaginary scale, it must be more than 50% convincing that a policy was violated. Another way of stating it is “Is it more likely than not that a policy was violated?”

Does a student who has been charged with a violation need an attorney?
Any student (Accused, Victim, Witness) who appears at a disciplinary proceeding may have an advisor accompany him/her. The advisor may provide advice but will not be permitted to question witnesses or to present information at the meeting. (Having an attorney serve, as an advisor does not change the role of the advisor.) A student who wishes to have an attorney as an advisor must inform the Office of Student Conduct in writing or by telephone at least three business days prior to the scheduled proceeding.

If an incident is being handled in the courts, may the College also take action?
Yes, students sometimes find that their involvement in an incident is reviewed by two or more jurisdictions (e.g., the College discipline system and the civil and criminal justice systems.) The fact that an incident is being examined from more than one perspective does not mean that the student has been placed in “double jeopardy.” The purpose of the student discipline process is to determine if a person shall remain a member of this academic community and, if so, under what conditions.

But admitting a violation will ruin my life – I’m afraid the violation will go on my record and keep me from going to professional or graduate school, or from getting a job!
A single violation will NOT ruin one’s life. As an educational institution, a primary goal of the campus disciplinary process is to help students learn from their mistakes. Usually, no permanent records are retained, and nothing goes on a student’s transcripts regarding the disciplinary action. Only if the sanction involves Expulsion is it noted on transcripts. In all but a very few cases, a student discipline record will not prevent one from applying and being admitted to medical, law, dental, or other professional or graduate schools.

But I was not aware of the rules; I did not mean to do anything wrong!

Every student is responsible for knowing what the rules are. This is why it is important to ask questions if one is unsure of the standards that apply. For example, if a student does not know the proper rules for citing sources in a paper, or do not know whether or to what extent students can work together on a homework assignment, the student must ask questions about the rules BEFORE completing and submitting the assignment. Ignorance is not an excuse. If you find yourself worrying about whether something is OK or not, don’t ignore your instincts-ask for clarification.

Most answers to questions about the student judicial process can be found in the Student Handbook found on the Office of Student Conduct website. If you do not find the information you are looking for, you can send an e-mail to:, or you can call the Office of Student Conduct at (201) 684-7869.

Ask A Question? Academic Calendar Ramapo Apparel, Accessories and Gifts