Participants of the Krame Center’s Mindful Fellows Program listen to a presentation by Carol Bowman.
MINDFUL FELLOWS PROGRAM FOR RAMAPO COLLEGE FACULTY AND FACULTY OF OUTSIDE COLLEGE INSTITUTIONS
The Ramapo College Mindful Fellows Program 2017-2018 School Year
Mindfulness is the energy of being aware and awake to the present moment. It is the continuous practice of touching life deeply in every moment of daily life. The Mindful Fellows Program, offered through the Krame Center for Contemplative Studies and Mindful Living, is designed to offer faculty the opportunity to expand their understanding of mindfulness practice and pedagogy. It is equally open to faculty who have established personal practices, as well as those who are new to mindfulness. Outside institutions interested in having their faculty participate, please contact the Krame Center at firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing.
- Learn the basics of personal mindfulness practice! Those who are accepted as Fellows participate in an 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course offered through the Krame Center in the Fall, Winter or Spring semesters. Tuition for Ramapo faculty is covered by the Krame Center. Outside institutions, please contact the Krame Center at email@example.com for pricing. These courses are offered Thursday Evening 7:00-9:30, Friday morning 9:30-12:00 and Saturday morning 9:30-12:00. (https://www.ramapo.edu/kramecenter/ )
- Live mindfulness practice for a weekend! The spring workshop/retreat at Blue Cliff Monastery will address personal contemplative practice.IMPORTANT NOTE; This workshop is open to non-Fellows including Ramapo faculty and local educators and adminstrators and former Mindful Fellows.
- Learn the basics of Mindful Pedagogy! A one-day workshop occurs on campus (in March) and explores ways of integrating contemplative pedagogy into courses.
- Meet with faculty from across the country at a summer conference on Mindful Teaching in Higher Education! Attend a summer workshop/retreat/conference to deepen the ability to integrate mindful practices into teaching.
- Implement mindful teaching! In the following Spring semester, Fellows implement mindful practices into their courses and submit a reflective report on the experience. Each fellow submits a syllabus showing integration of mindful pedagogy. Each syllabus can provide a template for other faculty who might wish to integrate mindful practices into their courses.
Contemplative Studies refers to:
- The scholarly interpretation of literature related to the theory and application of the many forms of mindful practice across history and cultures.
- Rigorous, evidence-based practice and research on the experience and outcomes associated with mindfulness.
- The values-based, interdisciplinary application of mindful wisdom to the promotion of the physical, social, psychological, economic, and environmental well l-being of the human community and the natural world.
“I provided Labyrinth to my students last Monday. It was wonderful! Students shared their awareness after the practice, and we talked about our life.
I would like to introduce more experimental and contemplative pedagogy to my classes! I want to educate life skills as well as knowledge and critical thinking!”
Mindful Fellow Seonmi Kim School of Sciences and Human Service
Application for Ramapo Mindful Fellows Program 2017-2018 School Year
Criteria for the Mindful Fellows Program
- Highly motivated to share and learn contemplative pedagogy. (If you have a meditation practice, how have you integrated it into your teaching? If you hope to develop one, how do you see this influencing your teaching?)
- Wish to develop or currently engaged in a contemplative practice. The Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course, offered by the Krame Center each semester, is a suggested part of the program. (https://www.ramapo.edu/kramecenter/programs/mindfulness-based-stress-reduction for details)
- A heartfelt commitment to the college community as demonstrated by service activities.
We are seeking a wide, interdisciplinary distribution of faculty, noting that mindful pedagogy can be engaged appropriately across the disciplines. We hope that participants will develop an interest in studies or research on subjects with a contemplative emphasis.
Please submit application to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 2, 2017.
After completing the Mindful Fellows program, faculty create new syllabi to reflect contemplative practices. See samples below.
Readings in Humanities El arte de escribir y técnicas de investigación formal Becoming a 21st Century Leader Music Production Technology AbnFldwkSy F2014 WI w reflection and exerciseshighlighted Clinical_20Management_NURS460rev_Fall_2014Valley 2014_NURS_425_Community_Centered_Nursing-3-2 NURSING 425_Communiy Centered Nursing 2014_NURS_425_Community_Centered_Nursing-3-2