Assistant Professor of Anthropology and International Studies
Year Joined RCNJ: 2017
- Phone: 201-684-7412
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: A-209
- Office Hours: W 4:00-6:00 pm; F 12:30-1:30 pm
- B.A., and M.A. Keio University, Tokyo Japan
- M.A., and Ph.D., Cornell University
- Cultural Anthropology
- International Studies
- Educational Anthropology
- Linguistic Anthropology
- Asian Studies
- Race Politics, Nationalism, Globalism, and Language Politics in the US, Japan, and Aotearoa/New Zealand
- Study Abroad, Civic Engagement, Language Education, Experiential Education
- Politics of Representation—Media Studies, Museum Studies
- 2017 The Romance of Crossing Borders: Studying and Volunteering Abroad. London: Berghahn Books. (co-edited with Hannah Taieb) http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title/DoerrRomance
- 2014 Rethinking Language and Culture in Japanese Education: Beyond the Standard. Bristol (UK): Multilingual Matters/Channel View Publications. (co-edited with Shinji Sato). http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?K=9781783091843
- 2013 Constructing the Heritage Language Learner: Knowledge, Power, and New Subjectivities. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. (co-authored with Kiri Lee) https://www.degruyter.com/view/product/204181
Recent Articles/Book Chapters
- 2017 Learning as Othering: Narratives of Learning, Construction of Difference, and the Discourse of Immersion in Study Abroad. Intercultural Education 28(1): 90-103.
- 2017 Discourses of Volunteer/Service Work and Their Discontents: Border Crossing, Construction of Hierarchy, and Paying Dues. Education, Citizenship, and Social Justice.
- 2017 Beyond “Mixed Race” and “Unmixed Race”: Being and Having Race in Aotearoa/New Zealand. In Mixed Race Identities in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Kirsten McGavin and Farida Fozdar, eds. New York: Routledge.
- 2016 Space of Pedagogic Imaginary: Interstice of Teacher’s Intent and Students’ Learning in Experiential Learning of Different Cultures. Education and Society. 34(1): 23-37
Recent Conference Presentations
- 2017 Learning an “Enemy Language” as the Heritage Language: Politicization of Language and Family in a Japanese TV Show “Massan”. Annual Meeting of the International Pragmatics Association, Belfast, Northern Ireland, July 16-21.
- 2017 Intersecting Chronotopes and Emerging Imaginary of Japan: Politics of Landscapes in Pokemon GO. Annual Meeting of the Asian Studies Association, Toronto, Canada, March 16-19.
- 2016 Sanitized Intimacy that Dares: The Rituals of Discovering Alterity while Studying Abroad in Sierra Leone. Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Minneapolis, November 16-20.
Ramapo College of New Jersey recognizes the value of publishing on the Internet. The College does not preview, review, censor, or control the content of these pages in any way as a matter of course. This page and Web pages linked from this page are created by the authors, and do not in any way constitute official Ramapo College of New Jersey content.